Hawkins40

Default Surname interest -Sussex

I am seeking information on HAWKINS family from FITTLEWORTH and STOPHAM area, any help would be appreciated.

kay13

What sort of information are you looking for? You need to be more specific ie: names, dates. Have a look at this site for Barcombe/Hamsey Ancestors - https://www.bandhpast.co.uk/index.html
    Kay

Hawkins40

Thanks for your suggestion - I was deliberately not specific re names and dates until I got a response. I have looked at the website you gave, I am not sure what relevance it has to my query................Tess Spencer

Jane M

As kay said, Tess, If you need any help with a particular person/family within the Hawkins family in these aeas I'm sure there's plenty of us with some resources that are willing to help

Jane

kay13

Hi Tess
    I'm not surprised that the web site I quoted was of no use to you - I posted it against the wrong request!!! I meant to send it to the person requesting info on TOWNER - Barcombe. Just put it down to a senior moment.

Good luck with your research
    Regards
    Kay

Hawkins40

Hi Kay - thank goodness for that, thought I was being thicker than usual! Tess

Hawkins40

Hi Jane -I would be delighted if anyone could help with the following. I am particularly interested in Thomas HAWKINS who married Katherine PUTTICK in 1700 and John HAWKINS b.1769 who married Frances NOEL in 1789. Both from the Stopham/ Fittleworth area.

Jane M

Hi Tess,
    I hope I'm not duplicating information you already have but here are the two marriages in question from the Sussex Marriage Index. It would seem that John married Frances twice, probably to keep the peace between the two families

Northchapel, West Sussex, 3 Oct 1700:
    Thomas HAWKINS, Fittleworth
    Katherine PUTTICK

Stopham, West Sussex, -- Oct 1789:
    John HAWKINS, otp
    Frances NOEL, Sutton

Sutton, West Sussex, 10 Nov 1789:
    John HAWKINS
    Frances NOEL

There are a few burials & baptism's on Family History Online for both the names Thomas & John Hawkins in Sussex for the right dates. It's a pat-per-view site but well worth the small outlay.

I'm sure you've got the information regarding their children from the IGI?

The West Sussex Poor Law database has information concerning the Hawkins family; https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/ccm/con...aw-database.en

The Access to Archives (A2A) site also has information that might be of interest to you; https://www.a2a.org.uk/

Jane

Hawkins40

Default HAWKINS

Hi Jane, Thank you for that, I have some of the information but not all.I will certainly have a look at A2A and familyhistoryonline. I would very much like the parents of Thomas b.1680 approx' and John 1769. Although I have fiches of the Parish records for that period haven't found them yet - they are not easy to decipher. Wonder what prompted John and Frances to get married twice - perhaps it was so good the first time??
    Tess

Jane M

I hope you can find their parents, Tess. Not sure which fiche you have but if you can't find them there it's worth getting the fiche of nearby parishes. I know what you mean about trying to read the fiche of these early registers Perhaps another document, a will or land registration might point you to another parish. I did have a look at the wills on the TNA site but nothing seemed of relevance, but you could look just in case,

Jane