Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tintin

Thumbs up Chidgey family from north petherton

Can anyone help I’m looking for relative or info about the Chidgey family from north petherton, Charles Chidgey & Mary Cox, George, william, John, Leonard & Thomas. Charles & Mary were cousins. Born around 1890 Charles in North petherton and Mary in Southampton.

Geoffers

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

To help point you in the right direction, may I ask if you have located Charles in the 1891/1901 census returns? Do you have his birth and marriage certificates?

If not, and you don't know how to go about this, please ask.

tintin

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

To help point you in the right direction, may I ask if you have located Charles in the 1891/1901 census returns? Do you have his birth and marriage certificates?

If not, and you don't know how to go about this, please ask.
    no i dont have them any help would be gratefully recieved.

Paul

SBSFamilyhistory

Hi Tintin

What information do you have so that we are able to help with your request for these certificates.

Sue

Geoffers

Since 1837, there has been a system of civil registration in England and Wales. Briefly, a birth, marriage or death was recorded by a local registrar, he sent details to the General Register Office (GRO). The GRO produced a quarterly index to these events. That index can be searched and when an entry is found you can apply for a copy of the certificate.

The index is available on fichces at record offices/local studies libraries, the nearest to you will be the Centre for Oxfordshier Studies, which is on the top floor of the library in Bonn Square. It is also available online on ay-per-view sites such as findmypast, The Genealogist, 1901census.nationalarchives and other sites. A project exists to transcribe this and make it freely available, it is not complete and contains errors, the site is freebmd

The detail includes in a reference varies over time, but basically includes:

Year
    Quarter (March covers Jan, Feb, Mar. June covers Apr, May, Jun - etc)
    Surname
    Forename(s)
    Registration District (North Petherton is in Bridgewater District)
    Volume
    Page

Death index incldues age at death. For entries since 1911, mother's maiden name is included in birth entries; and from 1912 spouse's surname is included in marriage entries

When you find a reference which you believe relates to your family, you can order a copy of the certificate, direct from the GRO

The basic idea is that you start of with the most recent birth certificate in your family - yours, your dads, your grandfather's....some point in time where you can prove someone was born at a certain place.

A birth certificate will provide a date and place born, name of child, gender, name and occupation of father, name and maiden name of mother.

With names of both parents, you can look for their marriage. A marriage certificate will provide you with this information.

When and where married, whether by licence, banns or at a register office
    For both bride and groom you will get:
    Name, age, marital condition, occupation, address, father's name and occupation
    names of witnesses.

With the ages of bride and groom you can look for their birth certificates, then their parents' marriage certifiactes.

The idea is to get to someone who was alive in 1901 so that you can search the census for that year. (Subsequent census returns have not yet been released).

Census returns include
    Address
    Name, relationship to head of the household, marital condition, age, occupation, birthplace

Census returns are available back to 1841, though the 1841 census contains less informtaion than in later years.

When you find a census return, note down the reference as this will help you to find it again. The reference is a bit like an address in time.

The census reference will include:
    RG13 - for 1901
    RG12 - for 1891
    RG11 - for 1881
    RG10 - for 1871
    RG9 - for 1861
    HO107 - for 1851 and 1841

After this is an oblique stroke / and a number

At the top of the census page there are two numbers needed. The folio number (appears on every other page) and page number.

For example, there is a CHIDGEY family in North Petherton in 1891 (unfortunately no Charles aged about 1) the reference for this entry is
    RG12/1881 f69 p6.

That is a very brief precis, it doesn't cover everything but is enough to give you an idea of what to do. If it is as clear as mud, please ask and I'll try to clarify things for you.

SBSFamilyhistory

On the 1891 Census there are two Charles Chidgey's born in Somerset around the correct time unfortunately they are not from North Petherton.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 880; Folio 11; Page 15; Elson

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1874; Folio 44; Page 11; North Curry

How ceratin are you about him being born in North Petherton?

Without looking at a map from what I remember about holidays in Somerset as a child, North Curry is not far from North Petherton.

Sue
    Last edited by SBSFamilyhistory; 12-02-2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: add source

tintin

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    On the 1891 Census there are two Charles Chidgey's born in Somerset around the correct time unfortunately they are not from North Petherton.

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 880; Folio 11; Page 15; Elson

Source Citation: Class: RG12; Piece: 1874; Folio 44; Page 11; North Curry

How ceratin are you about him being born in North Petherton?

Without looking at a map from what I remember about holidays in Somerset as a child, North Curry is not far from North Petherton.

Sue
    thats what i got, i know that there could be a connection with the Bruford name but don't now where. he could be Thomas Charles Chidgey or Charles Thomas, his wife was Mary Ann Cox she came from southampton area.

Geoffers

You'll need his marriage certificate, which will confirm an age, and give his dad's name and occupation. The information may help to identify the correct census return. Scroll up to message no.5 for information on obtaining certificates.

tintin

Unhappy

dont have any more info sorry

Geoffers

I appreciate your difficulty - but you'll need to do some research to obtain records in order to solve your query.

To try and put you in the right direction -

What is the source that you have for William CHIDGEY being born about 1890 in North Petherton and of his marriage to Mary COX?

Do you have any certificates, or is this information from family?

Do you know when any of the family died?

Have you been able to find either William or Mary in the 1901 census?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast