meryl bosher

Post Harriet Jennings

My g,g,grandmother ,b1836 in Nottingham, parents - John Jennings(blacksmith & Sara Wilson. She immigrated to Australia Feb1863 on the Ivanhoe I think, & married Thomas Degnan, b1839 Liverpool,in 1863 @ Tower Hill, Victoria, Australia. Any info will be very helpful. Cheers Meryl

Reputation beyond repute

John JENNINGS married Sarah WILSON 29 Jan 1825 at Mansfield.

Source: Phillimore

You'll need the PR for more.

ChrisKelly

1841 census
    living in Mansfield (Chesterfield Road) with family:
    John 35
    Sarah 35
    William 15
    Elizabeth 12
    Harriot 10? (writing bit indistinct)
    Sarah 7
    Mary 5
    Ann 2 (or 3) months

1851 census
    aged abt 19, working as servant in Mansfield (also given as place of birth)

1861 census
    aged abt 35 (?), working as servant in Sutton in Ashfield (also given as place of birth, which is very near Mansfield)

janbooth

Default John & Sarah JENNINGS

From the Notts FHS Baptismal Index all at Mansfield:

13 November 1831 Harriett daughter John and Sarah JENNELS Chesterfield Rd Stockinger
    2 February 1834 Sarah Anne daughter John and Sarah JENNILS Chesterfield Rd Stockinger
    29 May 1836 Mary daughter John and Sarah JENNINGS Chesterfield Rd Stockinger
    14 Sept 1838 (born 9 Sept 1838) John son John and Sarah JENNING Chesterfield Rd
    Stockinger
    15 November 1840 Ann daughter John and Sarah JENNINGS Chesterfield Rd Stockinger

I can't find William or Elizabeth's baptisms though.

HTH

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

Well found, Janet!

That ties up nicely with the 1841 census where John is shown as a Frame Work Knitter

HO 107/859/7 f 21

He's also shown as a Frame Work Knitter in 1851.

Are there any earlier possible siblings shown in the baptism index? Otherwise there's a bit of a gap after the 1825 marriage. Perhaps leads to doubts whether Sarah is Sarah Wilson?

janbooth

Default JENNINGS family

No Peter, they are all the baptisms shown on the copy of the Index I have.

Janet

janbooth

Default Harriet JENNINGS

Meryl,

Where did you get the information that John JENNINGS was a Blacksmith and the date and place of birth for Harriet? The only Harriet JENNINGS I can find born Nottinghamshire in the census records is the one in Mansfield but her baptism is in 1831. Also her father John is always shown as in the hosiery trade, either a Stockinger or a Framework Knitter, which is a world of difference from a Blacksmith and it therefore worries me whether we have the correct Harriet. However, the marriage that Peter found on Phillimores for John JENNINGS/Sarah WILSON is corroborated by the Notts FHS Marriage Index as taking place at Mansfield and seems to be the only likely marriage.

Janet

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps once she got to Australia she thought that blacksmith sounded more butch than framework knitter

meryl bosher

Default Harriet Jennings

Wow, you guys are good!!! & great!!All my info comes from her marriage cert,the writing is very clear, John Jennings - blacksmith, & Sara Wilson. Harriet gave her occupation as Domestic servant, which fits with your info.However, she did say she was 25 when she married,but 27 on ship the same year, & her husband gave her age as 51 on her death cert in april, 1883!So, according to marr.cert she was born 1836, & death cert 1832.
    Also,could Sara Wilson have been married before? I have her parents as William Wilson & Elizabeth ? & her christening was in Mansfield, 30/05/1807.Tahnks for all your help so far!! Cheers Meryl

meryl bosher

Default harriet jennings

just another thought. With William & Elizabeth being 15 &12 in the 1841 census,takes Williams birth back to 1826, the year after John & Sara married.
    I still think Harriet was a wee bit older when she married than she was letting on!! Cheers Meryl