Ronni

Default Accidental Deaths overseas

Hi Everyone, my name is Ronni, I am trying to find information on my GreatGrandfather, who died in an accident in Brussels in 1908. Would it have been reported in England? (he lived in Huddersfield). Also would there have been a coroners enquiry in the UK?
    Many thanks

Geoffers

Hello and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.

Do you have any more information on the type of accident - was he run over by a vehicle, did he die whilst working for a government agency?

The event may well have been reported to the British Embassy. This being the case there may be a record in amonst the correspondence in the FO (Foreign Office) class files at The National Archives.

Do you have a copy of the death certificate?

The matter may have been reported in a British newspaper - but then again, it may not. You might try the Times online to see if there is anything reported.

I doubt that there would have been an inquest in Britain.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    The matter may have been reported in a British newspaper - but then again, it may not. You might try the Times online to see if there is anything reported.

To add to what Geoffers has said:

There could well be something in the appropriate Huddersfield local newspaper. My great uncle died in an accident in Maidstone in 1930 (okay, I know it's not Belgium ) and the details were reported in both Maidstone and St. Albans (where he lived) newspapers.

Ronni

Default Deatch overseas

Many thanks Geoffers and co, I do have a document very faded and in French or maybe Belgian. Will try your tips.
    Ronni

Reputation beyond repute

Have you tried the GRO Consular Deaths indexes?

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    Many thanks Geoffers and co, I do have a document very faded and in French or maybe Belgian. Will try your tips.
    Ronni
    If you can transcribe it, we may be able to translate the document. I can get by in Flemish, no doubt there is someone else about who can read French.