Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lewis Meyer

ardburton

Thumbs up Lewis Meyer

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers View Post
    Which idea did you follow to get 'Barracks Ireland'?

I realized my mistake as soon as I posted the reply[

If you'e talking about Alfred, did you mean 1839? ( yes, Sorry typoe) If he died in Mesico and was a British subject, you might ask the British Embassy there for advice; they may be able to hint at a cemetery that was used by British residents.

Searching TNA's (The National Archives) catalogue, correspondence from the British Embassy in Mexico may have some mention of Alfred's death. There are several document classes which may be useful to you, at first glance
    FO723 - Registers of births and deaths 1815-1948
    FO50 - General correspondence before 1906
    FO605/127 - Mexico Register Vol.2
    FO366/125 and FO266/126 - Quarterly accounts and correspondence

To get somewhere with this, I get a sense that you will need to trot across the channel to spend a day or two browsing these documents are Kew.

I have e mailed someone in Mexico , that may help as at least we know now where to start looking for documents .this is like a puzzle.

I thank you again for your fantastic help,which otherwise I would not have a clue as where to start.I hope we can find out about his wife too at the Embassy there.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ardburton View Post
    I have e mailed someone in Mexico, that may help

Okedoke, let's wait to see what the information they may be able to provide. Please update this thread with anything extra that you get back from Mexico

this is like a puzzle

Good fun and frustrating in equal measures.
    I thank you again for your fantastic help
    Niks te danken

beste wensen

ardburton

Smile Lewis Meyer

I will give you an update as soon as I get something back from Mexico
    Cheers!!

fbolano2

Alfred Lewis died (was murdered) in January on 1840 south of Tampico when was returning from Mexico City. His killer was Mr. Hilario Galvan (his servant). Mr. Galvan stole some gold that Mr. Lewis had with him. Galvan was arrested and after a rather complicated proceeding was executed. Mr. Lewis was in Mexico already in 1837 and by then his wife was deceased (apparently of a "stroke" in New York City) already and was with his 3 children: Louisa (she married Denis Meade in 1838), Frances and Alfred. At the time of his assassination he was involved in buying mines, therefore no question he was an investor. It is not clear where he met his wife, where they were married, why Louisa was born in West Indies, Frances in London or Alfred in Marseilles or London or why Mrs. Lewis died in New York, but in my opinion he was traveling as he was investing. About the religious affiliation, what was discussed already is as much as I know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12