Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lewis Meyer

ardburton

Smile Lewis Meyer

I am trying to trace Alfred Lewis and Kate Meyer, they had a daughter born in the west Indies he was from the UK not sure what business he was doing in the west Indies , their daughter name was Louisa Catherine Lewis born on the 24th September 1823,she got married in Mexico later on.
    any information would be appreciated very much

Geoffers

Do you have any idea as to where she was born in the West Indies?

ANy hints at all to suggest a type of occupation for Alfred?

Do you know when Alfred either died, or roughly when he was born?

ardburton

Red face Lewis Meyer

We think she may have been born in Kingston Jamaica.we don't have a clue as what job her father had but we think he was from Wales, as date of birth not sure either, perhaps around 1780 and his wife Kate probably was from Germany, as Louisa lived in Mexico city she used to get the christmas presents for the children from Germany. we think perhaps Kate and Alfred were Jewish.
    Alfred and Kate then moved to London and had a daughter 2 years after Louisa was born then a son in Marseille France.

Geoffers

I cannot immediately find a connection the Royal Navy, or the Army. The connection between London, West Indies and Marseille may hint at either diplomatic status (in which case you may find some reference at The National Archives) or a business connection. You might try early directories to see if there is an Alfred LEWIS mentioned who was in some form of busniess that may connect him to the West Indies and the Med.

As a possibility.........

I wonder if the year 1823 is important? It was then that the Board of Ordnance carried out a survey of defences in the West Indies, led by Gen James Carmichael Smyth. His 1824 report is held in The National Archives at Kew. If Alfred LEWIS was part of the surveying team, it may be worth checking the card index of civilian staff of the Royal Military Surveyors and Draughtsmen (RMSD) to see if he is included. There is a TNA research guide on the Ordnance Survey here.

From the marriage in Mexico - and I have no idea about Mexican records - is there any sort of marriage certificate, or register entry for this - if so, does it contain any useful information?

Does this family, or any of them, appear in any UK census returns?

Documents online does have one PCC will for an Alfred LEWIS which if you are a gambler may be worth £3.50

If that will is no use, a search of the calendar of probate records from 1858 onwards may show your chap and at least give you somewhere to start as you would then stand a chance of locating his death certificate and so get a better idea of when he was born.

ardburton

Thanks so much for all your help , I have tried to locate the second daugher birth certificate as she was born in London and her name was Frances Emily Lewis born on the 14th june 1825 and died in Mexico in 1888 our relaives think the 2 sisters Louise and Frances and brother Alfred moved to Mexico after their mother Kate Meyer died, around 1840,but we do not know if their father was dead then or why they went to Mexico? did their father worked in Mexico also? is not easy to get information in Mexico, dont know where to look for.perhaps he was in business or perhaps was a diplomat both sisters married 2 irish brothers in Mexico Denis and Richard Meade who were cousins of the British consul in Mexico at the time, they do not know how the sisters met them and married, but after reading your post perhaps their father was a diplomat?
    Thank you so much for all the help you are giving me
    Sandra

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ardburton View Post
    I have tried to locate the second daugher birth certificate as she was born in London and her name was Frances Emily Lewis born on the 14th june 1825
    You won't get a birth certificate as this was pre-civil registration. There might be a baptism somewhere - but where to look? Have you tried the IGI?

their mother Kate Meyer died, around 1840
    It might be worth your while searching the 1841 census for the family and also the GRO index of deaths to see how many Kate/Katherine/Catherine/Katharine LEWIS deaths there were around then.

You obviously have some information on the family, what is the source that you are using at the moment? - Is this information that has been handed down throught he family, a bible, letters?

If the sisters married in Mexico to someone related to the consul - have you checked to see if their marriages are amongst the consular returns? - or possibly amongst consular papers field at The National Archives?

ardburton

Default Lewis Meyer

I have this information handed down by my family, the brick wall is Alfred Lewis and Catherine Meyer, we do not know where they were married or where they died , they seemed to go around a lot, then the daughters and brother going to Mexico and get married there apparently after the mother died,why Mexico? also one relative tried to find documents in Mexico about them but no joy.but we have the information about their Irish husbands which surname was Meade
    You are the only person so far that have been helping me ,thank you very much again

Geoffers

Just in case Alfred LEWIS was with the Board of Ordnance, I've just found this TNA research guide which may give more ideas of where to look for information, reading it seems to hint at document class WO54 as possibly being a way to show if Alfred was with the Board.

ardburton

Smile Lewis Meyer

I have followed you lead makes sense says Barracks Ireland, how can I check if he was there, I have a relative who just posted that he died in Mexico in 1939 at the age of 41 years old and his wife died in New York not exactly sure when as he moved to Mexico after she died , I guess after 1832 when their son was born in Marseille and before 1838,they seemed to have traveled a lot.

I really feel I am getting somewhere now and you have no idea how much I appreciate your help

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by ardburton View Post
    I have followed you lead makes sense says Barracks Ireland, how can I check if he was there,
    Which idea did you follow to get 'Barracks Ireland'?

I have a relative who just posted that he died in Mexico in 1939 at the age of 41 years old
    If you'e talking about Alfred, did you mean 1839? If he died in Mesico and was a British subject, you might ask the British Embassy there for advice; they may be able to hint at a cemetery that was used by British residents.

Searching TNA's (The National Archives) catalogue, correspondence from the British Embassy in Mexico may have some mention of Alfred's death. There are several document classes which may be useful to you, at first glance
    FO723 - Registers of births and deaths 1815-1948
    FO50 - General correspondence before 1906
    FO605/127 - Mexico Register Vol.2
    FO366/125 and FO266/126 - Quarterly accounts and correspondence

To get somewhere with this, I get a sense that you will need to trot across the channel to spend a day or two browsing these documents are Kew.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast