thompsonje

Default Yeaman/Yemen, Guthrie

I am researching my husband's family, his mother is a descendant of John Yeaman (b 1755) and Isabella Duncan - Dundee area.

John & Isabella had 5 children: Anne (b 20 Jan 1786), John (b 16 July 1788, died), John (b 26 Sept 1794), Peter (b 29 June 1796) and David (b 13 May 1799.) All 5 of them had "Guthrie" as their middle name, have been unable to confirm if they are part of the Guthrie clan or if the name merely signifies where they were born. Any ideas out there?

Peter Guthrie Yemen (spelling was somehow changed for this generation) married Margaret Douglas Fife/Fyfe, they emigrated to Canada via the US (New York), this is my husband's branch. Am interested in hearing from anyone with connections to this family, we have no info on Peter's siblings at all.

Thanks!

I have been going through the Dundee parish records for a couple of years now searching for my own ancestors.

Duncan, Guthrie and Yeaman are names that are quite frequent in the records.

The use of the name Guthrie indicates to me that either John Yeaman's or Isabella Duncan's mother was probably a Guthrie. If that is not the case then I suspect you will not have to go too far back before you have Guthrie ancestors.

BTW the name I am researching is Duncan and it is only a matter of time before I get to Isabella Duncan and John Yeaman - currently up to c 1700 and the writing is much easier to decypher so the going is not so slow
    daryl