maufleury

Default Help me find my grandmother Nellie Earle

Hi. I'm from Canada. I am researching my maternal grandmother, Nellie Earle. She was born in Uckfield, Sussex-Lewes in 1890. On the 1891 UK census, she shows up as a 1 year old staying with an aunt and uncle by the name of John and Mary Alcorn. John Alcorn lives in Isfield in 1891 with his wife Mary and my grandmother, Nellie Earle. What I am trying to find is a record of birth for my grandmother Nellie Earle. Her parents' names were Edward and Nellie Earle (as long as my grandmother told the truth on her Canadian marriage certificate when she married my grandfather, Archibald Alfred Richard Winsor in 1912 in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan Canada. I recently found my grandmother on the passenger list for The Empress of Britain. She left England as a 17 year old girl and arrived in Canada on March 30, 1907. So if anyone can help me find the birth certificate and any information that ties Earle with Alcorn, I'd sure appreciate it!!! Thanks so much!!!!

Keewatin

Default Nellie Earle or Earl

Hi there
    I found a possible birth on the index at freebmd.org

Note the spelling of surname

Nellie Earl
    Uckfield
    Mar Quarter 1890
    Vol 2b Page 134

With the above info you can order the certificate online from the GRO

I coudn't find her on the 1901 census
    Keewatin

SBSFamilyhistory

also see other thread help me find my grandmother.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by maufleury View Post
    I am researching my maternal grandmother, Nellie Earle....On the 1891 UK census, she shows up as a 1 year old staying with an aunt and uncle by the name of John and Mary Alcorn......What I am trying to find is a record of birth for my grandmother Nellie Earle. Her parents' names were Edward and Nellie Earle (as long as my grandmother told the truth on her Canadian marriage certificate
    The birth certificate reference provided by Keewatin should help you. When you get the certificate, keep an open mind as to the recorded parents - I cannot find a probable match in the 1891 census, for what was declared by your grandmother.

The mention of John and Mary ALCORN as uncle and aunt may be a more complicated relationship than it first appears. Looking at census returns, I think John ALCORN may have married more than once. So you may have to dig around in records (census, GRO index) to locate the connection.

Geoffers

This thread closely duplicated others, to avoid confusion and duplication of effort, this thread has been closed. Please see the following thread which contains the current enquiry

https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...ad.php?t=26220