kenneth

Default Confused--How do I get my membership number From Glamorgan FHS

I am confused. I followed the Glamorgan FHS to get online membership yesterday. I followed the advice--get it here on Parish Chest,Which I have done. But where is my Glamorgan FHS membership number? I wanted to use their lookup services for LLanwonno Burials of a ancester Virtue Elms D1884 at St Gwynno. Please advise. Any email addresses I can use please?

I have sent you a private message with the e-mail address of the membership secretary. She has been visiting a sick relative, so may only now have been able to process your membership. I know she is back now because she has just sent me the database to prepare the labels for the March journal posting before I go on holiday. (Don't worry, we have a system in hand for adding labels of new members who join in the mean time ) Welcome to GFHS. I'm sure you will benefit greatly from your membership.

Sue (Ex GFHS Membership Secretary!!)
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 10-02-2008 at 4:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Even with societies that have online membership applications, the donkey work of approving is still down to the membership secretary, who like the rest of us, as Sue said, have to visit sick relatives, or take holidays, etc. There is also the matter of confirming that your payment has been approved by the banking system used and that the funds have been transferred.
    Now, if you applied to a snail mail society like two I belong to, you could be waiting over a week ot two, if not longer as the membership secretary as to see the treasurer and hand over the cheque. They then have to bank it, wait for it to clear and then inform the membership secretary so that the membership number can be dispatched.
    Those on family history societies committees are like gold dust. Because finding a volunteer is impossible due to the time it takes up and that there is no reward, not even a thank you in reply to a request made of them.
    So from one committee member to all those out there, thank you all.

Sunpat

I am a member of two family history societies/groups and appreciate all the work carried out on behalf of members by the organisations' committees, without folk who are willing to assist there would be no FHS.
    Thank you everyone - note to self pay membership, now
    Sunpat

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I wanted to use their lookup services for LLanwonno Burials of a ancester Virtue Elms D1884 at St Gwynno.
    Name VIRTUE ELMS 03APR 1884 Address PONTYGWAITH Age 41 Parish Llanwonno St Gwynno

I'll be surprised if the parish register has much more information than that.

Hi Kenneth
    And all you wanted to know was how to get your membership number eh? Possibly you and I are so used to joining various sites where a membership number is automatically generated that we become confused when nothing happens. A bit like standing at a door that quite plainly says 'Push' but we are so used to them opening automatically that our brain doesn't register the instruction 'Push'.
    Peter came up a winner with the info you were after so you got more help than you were actually asking for. Good work Peter.
    happy hunting Kenneth
    Christina