Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bwskog

Default Haynes, Gourd in villages of.........

Where to begin...........I feel like I have so much garbage to wade through its almost insurmountable. I am trying to research our family history forward. From Walter Haynes born 1583 Wiltshire England. He left England in 1638 in the ship Confidence. He left one daughter behind Elizabeth (Not 100% on the name, but fairly certain) She married Roger Gourd in 1635 Shaftesbury, Dorset England.

Suppose to have inherited her father's house (probably in the husband's name) in Shaston. First question: is this a village? If so is it the same thing as Shaftesbury? Elizabeth died Jun 15 1659, Sudbury, London England.

2. Is there such a thing as Sudbury, London

3. What about Shorftsbury? Is this just bad spelling

4. What about Kilts? Is there a Kilts in England? or a Sutton Mansfield?

One account states the son-in-law inherited a tenement in Shaston, Dorsetshire England

5. What is a tenement? In the USA it means a "slum" surely would not want to inherit that! Thanks to anyone who can help Babs

Famous for offering help & advice

Default Some answers...

I think I can answer some of your questions:

1. I'm pretty sure I've come across Shaston as the local name for Shaftesbury. If someone more local doesn't come in on this, try looking for a local history or information site for Shaftesbury, which may confirm this.

2. Not as far as I know. There's Sudbury in Suffolk (some distance NE of London), and Sunbury (about 10-12 miles WSW of London).

3. Looks like someone's version of Shaftesbury to me.

4. I've never heard of a place called Kilts. Can you give more of a context? Mansfield is a town in Nottinghamshire, and there's a smaller place called Sutton (in full, Sutton-in-Ashfield) just to the west, so this is probably what is meant.

5. In Scotland a tenement is more or less what you describe, but in England, in an old document, it means a holding of a house and land.

Arthur

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by bwskog View Post
    Suppose to have inherited her father's house (probably in the husband's name) in Shaston. First question: is this a village?
    Yes - near Shaftsbury

Sudbury is an area of north west London - between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Wembley.

3. What about Shorftsbury? Is this just bad spelling
    It looks like it to me.

4. What about Kilts? Is there a Kilts in England? or a Sutton Mansfield?
    Don't know about Kilts but there's a Sutton Mandeville in Wiltshire, about 12 - 15 miles from Shaftsbury.

One account states the son-in-law inherited a tenement in Shaston, Dorsetshire England.
    5. What is a tenement?
    A building - not necessarily a slum but it could be a multi-occupancy building.

Hope this helps a bit.

Alan Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Kennedy View Post
    I think I can answer some of your questions:
    2. Not as far as I know. There's Sudbury in Suffolk (some distance NE of
    Yes Sudbury is an area of Greater London lying west and perhaps slightly north of central London. It's near Wembley.

Alan

[Oops looks like I was beaten to it again]
    Last edited by Alan Welsford; 07-02-2008 at 8:11 PM. Reason: Double post acknowledged.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Sudbury is an area of north west London - between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Wembley.
    Looks like I don't know everything

Don't know about Kilts but there's a Sutton Mandeville in Wiltshire, about 12 - 15 miles from Shaftsbury.
    Good point - Nottinghamshire did seem rather a long way away.

Arthur

Jan1954

Arthur - I only know about Sudbury as I work in Harrow-on-the-Hill. Otherwise I would have immediately thought of Suffolk

bwskog

Default Thanks

Thank you everyone for a little more help in sorting out the mess in my genealogy search.

Default Kilts = Wilts?

Since Sutton Mansfield might turn out to be Sutton Mandeville, is there any possibility that Kilts might turn out to be Wilts (= Wiltshire)? We'd need to see a scan of the original document to give a proper opinion, and I appreciate that may not be possible.

Arthur

Ffortune

Hi
    Roger Gourd is the brother of my 10xggf William Gourd who marries Ffortune Hayme. Currently my working assumption is that Elizabeth Hayme/Hayne is related somehow to Ffortune, sister/cousin etc.
    I would be interested tio know if you have come accross Ffortune as I hope she may tie in with Sufferance Hayme & the Goodenoughs who emmigrated to the US.
    reagrds Ffortune

bwskog

Default Roger Gourd

Do you have any documentation or a website I can go to to get this information. I do not mean to be a stickler with this, but there is so much misinformation out there I want to double check where yours came from and what year did William marry Fortune? Elizabeth Hayne(s) married Roger Gourd in 1635. What Parish did you get your information from? Wouldn't it be something if we were related? Are you in England? I think it would make us cousins of some sort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast