Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ed Bradford

Default Stuck with my Bradford line

I've run out of ideas of where to go next. I have traced my Bradford line back to James Bradford b. abt 1788 somewhere in England and Sarah Harvey b. abt 1794 probably in Hackney. They married 25 Dec 1812 at Spitalfields Christ Church. They lived most of their life in Bethnal Green Where they had 7 children: James b.1812, William b.1815, Thomas b. abt 1823, Richard b.1824, Sarah b.1831, Eliza b. 1833, and Louisa b.1838. James died 1 Jan 1838 in Hackney and Sarah died after 1871.

My problem is that I don't know where to get any information that can take this family back further in time. Any of the records that I've looked at aren't conclusive. Does any one have any suggestions?

...............Ed

jeanettemarie

As they lived most of their life in the same area could you not order the parish register film from your nearest LDS it costs about £2 here dont know what that equates to where you are, but you can view it for a month for that and renew if not enough time, it might be worth a look, as I did that with my husbands family, and found lots of them.
    Jeanette

Ed Bradford

Jeanette, that's a good thought. I'll give it a try. Any other suggestions are welcome. ...............Ed

Geoffers

Either the family came from the area, or moved there.

If they came from the area, there may be others who survived to appear in the 1851 census. If your chap moved to the area, he may have been one of a family group who moved to Spitalfields.

So, try searching the 1851 census for the surname BRADFORD in Bethnal Green and note down where they were born - in paticular any male or single female BRADFORDs who were from the same generation as James. Their birthplaces may give a clue as to parishes to check for other records.

Does the 1812 marriage register entry give any clues, either of them widowed - marriedby licence or banns, what parish were bride and groom from? Who were the witnesses? - any relatives?

What did James do for a living? - Anything which may have left a paper record? Any family wills of use?

Ed Bradford

Geoffers,
    Hmmmmm. A new angle. I'll try looking for Bradfords in the area that are the same generation and see where that takes me. They are plentiful.

In the 1841 census there is a Samuel living with Sarah along with some of her children. He married a short time later. His marriage certificate says his father is a William. A Sarah Bradford was a witness. I suspect that William is the brother of my James but that path has also been a deadend.

My James Bradford was a poulterer. Many members of the family were also poulterers. You're right in thinking that might an avenue to go down.

Well now, I've been rejuvenated with new ideas. I knew I had come to the right place.

Thanks much. ..........................Ed

Mutley

The BIVRI threw up just 3 James Bradford's in England

James born 8 Mar 1783, baptised 30 Mar 1783 to Thomas and Hannah in
    Little Hadham, Herts.
    James baptised 30 Dec 1787 to Thomas and Ann in
    Steyning, Sussex.
    James Holmes Bradford baptised 7 Jul 1789, mother Elizabeth Bradford
    Carlby Lincolnshire.

The only Samuel was to Ralph and Elizabeth in 1800 in Farcett, Huntingdonshire.

Shame he does not have the same parents as one of the James.

There is not a Wiliam with the same parents as James.
    Last edited by Mutley; 08-02-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: added a bit

Ed Bradford

I have found a James and William Bradford with the same parents in the IGI. Their ages seem to be very close to what I would expect. The parents are James and Ann Bradford. Their children are as follows:

James christened 15 June 1787 Newhaven, Sussex
    William christened 28 September 1788 Newhaven, Sussex
    Jemima christened 1 April 1790 Newhaven, Sussex

Jemima went on to marry William Jupp on 12 October 1811 in Newhaven, Sussex.

My family seems to be in and around the London area and they don't seem to move much of a distance until my grandfather relocated to America after WWI. Newhaven is some distance from London. This could be my family but I feel that the likelihood is remote

................Ed

Mutley

The IGI has thousands and their BIVRI holds 181,123 baptism and 17,793 marriage records for London.

Unfortunately Ed, it seems that neither yours or mine are among them.

Ed Bradford

Okay, I give up! What is the BIVRI? I've probably been using it but don't know it by that acronym.
    ..............Ed

Mutley

Sorry Ed,

British Isles Vital Records Index is a set of 16 CD's. The BIVRI, like the IGI, has been compiled by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and contains over 12 million entries. These CD's are purchased from them and I believe are in addition to those they provide free on the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast