staunton

Default Divisional HQ. Whitburn.

Does anyone know if West Hall Whitburn was used by the army in 1918.
    I think it may have been a regimental HQ.
    If it was, what regiment was using it ?
    I would be grateful for any help at all.
    Last edited by staunton; 05-02-2008 at 3:58 PM. Reason: correction

Davran

There are quite a few references to West Hall on Google. It appears to be a scout camp now, but belonged to the Thompson family at the beginning of the 20th century. Robert Thompson died there in 1910 and in his will he wanted it to be kept in the family as long as possible.

https://members.cox.net/ggthomp/robertthompson1819.html

Why don't you try contacting West Hall at:

West Hall Camp Site
    South Tyneside Council
    Cleadon Lane
    Cleadon
    Sunderland
    Tyne And Wear
    SR6 7UY

I have usually found that people are very willing to help or put you onto someone else who can.

staunton

Thank you Davran I will certainly give that a try.

suedent

You may well already be aware that there is still an Army Firing Range at Whitburn, at Whitburn Camp.

staunton

Thank you Sue,
    Thats helpful I didnt know about that ,there may be a regimental connection.
    Very grateful for your help.

67adey

Hi I am reading a great book by a soldier in the Sherwood Foresters who was billeted there in 1918 and describes it as a convalescent camp he was there following a spell at Longleat for wounds received on the western front and was there for Christmas 1918. He describes the place as very run down and very creepy and gives a chilling account of supernatural phenomena occurring which dated back to the Civil war in 1642. The book is based on his journal discovered after his death in 1973. It is called "The tale of a boy soldier" by George Parker It is one of those local interest books published by an insignificant now defunct sussex publisher its ISBN is 0 904733 86 6 hope this helps

staunton

Default Whitburn

Thank you 67 adey,
    What you have told me is really interesting and fits in very well with what I Know about my grandfather who was there in 1918.
    Many thanks

Reputation beyond repute

"The tale of a boy soldier" by George Parker
    Readily available through public libraries as an inter-library loan. Brighton & Hove Libraries have several copies.