Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    nancyt

Default Girls Boarding School

I wonder if anyone in the Brighton area would know about a Young Ladies seminar (presumably girls boarding school) in Brighton about 1870.My grandmother was said to have attended such a place. I am getting nowhere trying to find it though.
    nancyt

Knowledgeable and helpful

I have also found a relative who attended a Girls School in Hove/Brighton in 1871.
    I have emailed the Hove records office but they have told me that they do not have any records as it was a private school.
    The school my grandmother's cousin attended was in Brunswick Street, Hove/ Brighton. It was long street running down towards the water.
    In the 1871 census there is a long list of girl's names and the original entry covers more that one page as it was quite a large concern taking up several buildings along Brunswick Street.
    If you have access to the 1871 census you may see your relative's name there or if you like to give me the name I will look it up for you.
    I do not know how many years the school was in existence.
    I will hunt for the email I received from the records office but it did not really help.
    I, too would love to know more about this school.
    regards
    Marj.

Alan Welsford

A young ladies seminary, probably.

Seminary (one meaning of) A school of higher education, especially a private school for girls.

If you click on the "Commercial" options for this 1867 Kelly's directory, you will find references to "young ladies school", or just "seminary", but not "young ladies seminary".

https://steve.pickthall.users.btopenw...ghton1867.html

Some of these can be easily found in the following 1871 census such as...

Green Emily (Mrs.), young ladies' school, 40 Grand parade
    (which seems to be a very small scale affair, with just a handful of pupils)

Others like...

Grellett Isabella (Miss), young ladies' school, 62 Grand parade is similar, but not in the charge of the person listed. (Census shows Elizabeth Ann Newman).

I couldn't immediately find the entries actually badged as "seminary" in the census, but with a bit of fiddling around, its probably possible.

Another Google found reference to one in Sussex Square, Brighton.

Alan

nancyt

I've had no success with the 1871 census or the 1881.
    My Grandmother was Helena Price /Hill price or Hall Price Her early life is steeped in mystery as she was Illegitimate, there are a few family stories, which I'm trying to unravel.Why oh why don't we ask more questions when the people who might know are still around! Is it possible to look up a census for the school rather than a particular pupil I wonder.
    nancyt

Alan Welsford

Do you know her birth date and/or birth place, please ?

Thank you Alan for that excellent resource you entered for Nancyt.
    There certainly appears to be no shortage of boarding schools for young Ladies in Brighton/Hove circa 1871.
    I was fortunate, I found mine under "B" Burrell and Mounsey Ladies Boarding School 29 /30 Brunswick Road.
    I had thought the school covered many houses but apparently there were a lot of schools on that street, all run by different people. At 39/40 Brunswick Road there was a school for young gentlemen! (That was, no doubt, cause for some diversion).

nancyt

thanks Allen for all that information, I've had no luck so far. Grandmother was born London 1866 I believe.The date tallies with the only 2census I've found her on, and her marrige certificate. It seems very young to be at a boarding school but due to her circumstances it's possible I suppose. Maybe I should try the1881 census again but never had any luck before.
    thaks very much for your help
    nancyt

Jane M

Hi Nancy,
    Have you found her birth registration? I found this one on FreeBMD.
    Helena H. Price. June Quarter 1866, Marylebone (1a 483)

What was the name she gave on her marriage certificate? Any idea of the name of her mother?
    There is a Price family in Brighton in 1871 who have a daughter, Helena (RG10/1076/22/38) but she was born in Brighton d/o John & Anne Price. They are still there in 1881 but John, the father is not there although Anne says she is married & there's no sign of Helena. Maybe your grandmother went under a different surname in those early years
    On the censuses you have found her on, where does she say she was born?

jane

Quote Originally Posted by nancyt View Post
    I wonder if anyone in the Brighton area would know about a Young Ladies seminar (presumably girls boarding school) in Brighton about 1870.My grandmother was said to have attended such a place. I am getting nowhere trying to find it though.
    nancyt
    My first thought was Roedean (where princess Anne was a boarder) but that didn't open until 1885.

Brighton and Hove High School for Girls was founded in 1876 (and is just the other side of Western Road from Brunswick Street)
    https://www.isc.co.uk/viewPage.aspx?t...Id=82060&max=2
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I realize that this may seem like a whacky idea but maybe one I personally would consider.
    The link Alan gave you to 1867 Kellys Diectory is very informative. If you work through it you will see that there were dozens of Girls Schools, Children's Homes, Childrens preparatory schools, boarding and otherwise.
    If you were to note the name of the owner or school mistress you will probably find it in the 1871 census followed by all the girls names.
    If you were to find a Helena maybe it would be worth noting the surname or surnames and then using the birthplace and age to give you a possible trail to follow.
    It would seem very possible that she did use another surname.
    Do you know if she came from an affluent or a poor family? This could help too.
    I guess you would need to take this in easy stages however it could give you eyestrain!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast