granof17

Default Coroner's Report

Hello everyone,

My grandfather was killed in a road accident in allerton Lancs.in 1954.
    I have the detailed coroner's report,giving the gory details of his extensive injuries,which claimed his life.He died in Garston Hospital on 28th.October 1954.His name was Thomas Eric Miller aged 67 years. Cannot make out the residential address on the report,but looks like Caldwell Road? Liverpool 3?

Can someone possibly help,(or advise)how I can find his burial place?
    I have tried every cemetery search site,and all the obvious channels....but no joy.
    I believe he was of Wesleyan belief.

I never knew him(due to adoption)but would love to have this link with him.

Thanks in advance,

Gillian

Geoffers

You might try contacting a local newspaper and see if they have an archive dating back this far - if so do they have any public notices, births, baptisms, marriages, deaths and burials.

Did he leave a will in which he makes his wishes known - e.g. "body cremated and ashes scattered......."?

Does the local FHS sell indexed copies of MIs for cemeteries in the area?

Try contacting civic cemeteries in the area where he lived and see if they can carry out a search for you, or if they have an online index (use a search engine and enter the name of the town/district and then cemetery and see if you get any hits)

granof17

Default Coroner's Report

Thanks Geoffers,

I mailed and e-mailed as many papers as possible,most of them do not reply,but from the one's who did,no archival records were forthcoming.

I'll take up some of your other recommendations,although my searches of church records have given no clues as to where he may rest.

Much appreciated,

Thankyou

Wirral

Hi granof
    The details of his burial are probably at Liverpool Central Library, so I'll look them up when I go there next week, probably on Tuesday. He is likely to be in Allerton Cemetery, but their office are unable to give you details until you have the grave number, which you have to get from the library first. And as I found out only a few days ago, you can no longer go in person to the office, you have to ring them up or write. I'm still waiting for the call back!
    Caldwell Road is near Allerton Station. In fact, it runs at the back of the road where my husband's gran used to live!

Wirral

Sorry, should have said "Hi Gillian"!

granof17

Default Coroner's Report

Hi wirral,

That would be lovely,thanks so much.
    Much appreciated.

I suppose any type of record offices can get snowed-under with queries...so many people are now looking into the past.

Regards,much appreciated.

Gillian

Wirral

Hi Gillian
    I looked at the records for Allerton Cemetery which is the nearest one to Caldwell Road, but Thomas Eric MILLER wasn't there. I will be going back to the library in a week or so. In the meantime, could you check the date of death again? Also, what was the date of the inquest? I checked from 28 Oct 1954 to 24 Nov 1954. Perhaps the body wasn't released to the family for some time.