swaggerz

Default Hello to all, HOYLE - Lancs

Thank you in advance, to all who aid searchers from across the big pond.

A bit about me... I currently live in Vancouver BC and I'm the first Canuck. All the Hoyles in my family originated in the Rawtenstall/Newchurch/Haslingden area of Lancs. My HOYLE'S are a muddled lot. In fact, I've never met my birth father.

Life moves on... I discovered I have three wonderfull half sisters and a family history worth exploring to its fullest. My line from Lancs is as follows.

Wilfrid HOYLE d. 1951 m. May Green
    Geoffrey
    Bert Hoyle b. sept 17, 1922 - My father, whereabouts unknown.
    Others TBA...
    Last edited by swaggerz; 27-01-2008 at 1:32 AM. Reason: Wrong information.

Charles Rignall

Default Possibly not related, but interesting -

Hi -

My great grandfather was Richard Ashworth Hoyle, born in Tonge Bridge, Lancashire, in 1850. He married Emma Helliwell Aspinall. They had four daughters, one of whom was named Edith and reportedly moved to Vancouver. I can supply a little more about this family and its history if you're interested -

Regards,

Charlie Rignall

swaggerz

Default I typed while my brain was otherwise occupied.

Life moves on... I discovered I have three wonderfull half sisters and a family history worth exploring to its fullest. My line from Lancs is as follows.

THey are as follows...

Wilfrid HOYLE d. 1951 m. May Green
    Geoffrey
    Bert Hoyle b. sept 17, 1922 - My father, whereabouts unknown.
    Others TBA...

Richard Ashworth HOYLE b. dec 21, 1861 m. Sarah Jane Haworth
    Florence (b. 1884)
    Wifrid Hoyle - My GrandFather (b. 1885)
    Bertha (b. 1889)
    Ada (b. 1893)
    Walter (b.1893)
    Herbert (b. 1900)

Joseph HOYLE m. Mary Ashworth

Richard Ashworth Hoyle - My G GF b. 1865 (1861,1871 1881, 1891,1901, census)
    Elizabeth Ann b. 1867
    Thomas b. 1870
    Joseph b. 1872 & Harry (Twin?)
    William b. 1874
    Louisa b. 1879
    Walter b. 1883

Richard HOYLE m. Betty
    Joseph b. 1844
    George b. 1848
    Mary Alice b. 1851
    Anna b. 1854
    Richard b. 1857
    Elisabeth A b. 1862
    Louisa b. 1864
    Clara b. 1868

My apologies for any incovenience.

I have located two Edith Hoyle's for BC...

Kate Edith Hoyle (84) d. 07/ 22/ 1959 - Reg # 1959-09-008707
    Edith Clara Hoyle (84) d. 06/24/1961 - Reg # 1961-09-007987
    I hope this might help...

STEVET7209

Default Richard Ashworth Hoyle

I know this is an old thread but I have just picked it up.

I have just moved into Richard Ashworth Hoyle's (B 1851) house in Bacup - it is next to his fathers house (James Hoyle). This is the Hoyle family who owned a lot of the cotton mills in this valley. Do you think this is the same one?

Steve

STEVET7209

Mistake - his father is Joseph and not James.

Mutley

Hello Stevet7209 and welcome to the forum.

swaggerz has not visited for some time, his registration is still active though so he may receive notice of your post and come back to reply. Let's hope so.

Good Luck

swaggerz

I'm here, sorry about the long absence. Lots of news from this side of the pond... My "father" is located unfortunately too late but found all the same. There is much ado with my half sisters, much turmoil in volunteer land, and I ought to create a paycheck soon i think. Many distractions, much travel, that's my excuse... truly.

Stevet7209 When you say Bacup - is it possible the area has been reinvented in some way? I don't have any of my Hoyles in Bacup not direct ancestors at least. Always Rawtenstall? As far as owning Mills... The only one that is known is the old slipper mill that has been converted into flats. There was a partnership with Ashworth, & Parker (I believe) I'll have to look the other one up. But i do believe Richard & Joseph used to live next door to each other. Richard later bought NewHallhey House (now gone) at the site of a "now" traffic circle I believe. My sister will be in the area in the fall to claim our fathers remains and I'm sure will be visiting Rawtenstall/Bacup area. lately I'm trying to track down a great uncle... who had a single digit drivers licence #.

Welcome to the forum and thank you Mutley...

Stevet7209 Are you a Hoyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley View Post
    Hello Stevet7209 and welcome to the forum.

swaggerz has not visited for some time, his registration is still active though so he may receive notice of your post and come back to reply. Let's hope so.

Good Luck

Slmyers

Hi Stevet7209... I have only just come back to the site but this is not the same Richard Ashworth Hoyle... There appear to be at least two Richard Ashworth Hoyle's ... swaggerz and mine (we are siblings) was born in 1864 in Haslingden.. to father Joseph Hoyle and mother, Mary Ashworth, who was in turn the child of Thomas Ashworth and Ann Taylor.... RAH married Sarah Jane Haworth ... he was a grocer in Reeds Holme as a young man but then joined his father Joseph and Joseph Hiram Parker in the Shoe and Slipper Manufacturing trade and did rather well at it... eventually having their business operate out of Ilex Mill, a mill still standing in Rawtenstall... now converted into luxury flats after much ado....