Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BernieFD

Default Annie Dorothy Durking c1888 Belfast?

New thread, It is Bernie from Australia again.

I am trying to get back to some more research on my Donnelly family.

I have the birth certificate for my Father, Sidney Francis Donnelly ,born 20 April 1908 in Surrey, England , parents Francis Donnelly and Anne Donnelly , formerly Durkin .
    I have been trying for many years to find details of my Grandmother Anne Durkin without success , and hope now that the Forum can help me.!!

My Grandparents , Francis Donnelly and Anne Durkin were married in the UK in 1907 , but I do not have their marriage certificate.

I believe that Anne Durkin was later known as Annie Dorothy Durking ( note change of spelling) and was to the best of my knowledge may have been born in Belfast, Northern Ireland circa 1886, and parents were possibly John Durking and Elizabeth Cragon and that she Anne ( Annie) had a sister Charlotte , born Northern Ireland 1883.

Anne Durkin/ Durking came to Australia where she was employed as a Domestic in Victoria and died in 1944.
    I have spoken to her Daughter , my Aunt , who told me the information on her death certificate is the information I have provided above!!

All of this information is very old and now I hope the excellent Forum researchers can help me get some accurate information on my Grandmother Anne (Annie) Durkin / Durking, and hopefully some details about her parents , siblings etc.

Kind Regards Bernie Donnelly. Australia.

BernieFD

Further to thread 82 above I did not say that my Grandmother Anne Durkin/Durking remarried in Australia circa 1921 as her first husband , my Grandfather Francis Donnelly, was killed in the first war in 1918
    She married Albert Foo and when she died was obviously Anne Foo.

Bernie Donnelly. Australia.

Hi Bernie
    when your grandmother married in 1907 her name on the transcript of the marriage registration was Annie Dorothy Durking. You really do need the marriage certificate which will give you her father's name and occupation.
    Why do you think she was really Ann(e) Durkin and not Annie Dorothy Durking. She is on the 1926 Ballarat Electrical roll as Annie Dorothy Foo.
    Do you have Annie Dorothy Foo's death certificate? These are usually very informative as to length of time in the country, number of children to marriages and parents names.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

BernieFD

Hi Christina , thank you.
    The reason I said her name was Anne Donnelly(Durkin) because that is her name as recorded on my Father's Birth certificate.
    My aunt has told me the information I forwarded to the forum in Post 82 was from her death certificate!!
    I will check with her again and see if she can send me a copy of the death certificate and as Annie married again in 1921 in Victoria, I will see if my aunt has a copy of the marriage certificate when she married Alfred Foo and moved to Ballarat where she died.

Regards Bernie Donnelly.

BernieFD

Hi Christina ,
    Since my last 2 posts at 84 and 85 I have spoken to my aunt , Annie Dorothy Durking's daughter and together with some earlier research I did about 20 years ago have some more information on her family.

Annie had a sister Charlotte , born 5 April 1883 at 82 Raglan street Belfast and was a laundress. ,Would the census for that period provide any details about the occupants and their ages and occupations ?

Annie and Charlotte's parents Elizabeth Cragon and John Durking were possibly married about 1880 and most likely in Belfast, and I guess the were both born , say the 1850's. John Durking was soldier but I do not have any details of his military service.!!

Charlotte married William Johnson , a horsekeeper, 3 July 1901 , in the Registry Office, Richmond , Surrey , England. but again I don't have any other details.

Elizabeth Cragon , Annie's mother, also had a sister, Anne Cragon possibly born in the 1850's .She, Anne Cragon married Edward Walkden , 3 January 1901 and I believe it was also in England.

Is it possible that some of the Forum Researchers might be able to find some details about the members of Annie's earlier family, with the information I have outlined above , I am keeping my fingers crossed !!

Regards, Bernie Donnelly ,Australia.

Last edited by BernieFD; 23-09-2017 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Correct Spelling

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I haven't read the rest of the thread
    Charlotte Durkin
    Registration Year: 1901
    Registration Quarter: Jul-Aug-Sep
    Registration district: Richmond Surrey
    Volume: 2a Page: 951
    William Johnson

3 Park Mews Cottages, Park Road Richmond, Surrey
    William Johnson 31 Iselworth Middlesex
    Charlotte Johnson 29 Belfast

Annie Cragon
    Marriage Age: 34
    Birth Date: abt 1848
    Marriage Date: 22 Jul 1882
    Marriage Place: St Luke, Shepherds Bush, Hammersmith and Fulham, Middlesex, England
    Father: Henry Cragon desc as weaver
    Spouse: Edward Walkden desc as a plumber
    Father:Henry Walkden desc as a plumber
    Witnesses Emanuel Dracott S Guckson
    both of 31 Victoria Road
    Register Type: Parish Register

2 Petersham Road, Richmond
    Edward Walkden 66
    Maude Hutin 18
    William Henry Hillman 42
    Auther Durking 5 adopted son Richmond
    William Bayliss 40

Births Jun 1906 (>99%)
    Durking Arthur Edward Richmond S 2a 508

25a Grosvenor Road , Richmond
    AE Walden DURKING 29 May 1906 chauffer
    Liliy Walden Durking 23 July 1907
    Arthur E Durking-Walkden
    2 closed records

Year: 1957
    County or Borough: Twickenham
    Ward or Division/Constituency: Twickenham West
    Street address: 2692 Twickenham
    Reference Number: MR/PER/C/0985
    The Flat St Margarets Hotel Garage
    Arthur E Durking -walkden
    also listed
    Eileen Durking -walkden
    Nellie D Durking -walkden
    Nos on p[age 2622 -2624

Arthur E Durking-Walkden
    Death Age: 54
    Birth Date: abt 1906
    Registration Date: Sep 1960
    Registration district: Surrey Northern
    Volume: 5g Page: 383

Nellie Daisy D Walkden
    Death Age: 75
    Birth Date: 23 Jul 1907
    Registration Date: Jun 1983
    Registration district: Richmond upon Thames
    Volume: 14 Page: 1584

Got onto gro.gov.uk result

As no mothers maiden name is shown and sister Charlotte was married to Wm Johnson I presume Arthur maybe the child of Annie D

DURKING, ARTHUR EDWARD -
    GRO Reference: 1906 J Quarter in RICHMOND SURREY Volume 02A Page 508

It would be interesting to see what detail is on the birth cert!

Order from gro.gov.uk £9.25

BernieFD

Hi geneius , thanks for such detailed information, I hope I can follow up these details

Regards Bernie, Australia.

Marriages Mar 1907
    Donnelly Francis Bernard Richmond, S 2a 728
    Durking Annie Dorothy Richmond S. 2a 728

BernieFD

Hi again , thanks for the info in post 90.

I have those details, Francis Bernard Donnelly was my Grandfather who was killed in WW1 Annie Dorothy Durking came to Australia in 1914 with my father age 6, who was born in Surrey.

I knew my Grandmother, Annie Dorothy , who died in 1944 , and I together with my Aunt , Annie's Daughter we have been trying for ages to get some information about her family and at long last we are getting somewhere, thanks to the Forum

Kind Regards, Bernie, Australia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast