Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VictoriaB

Default Boyd and Stevenson/Stephenson/Stinson/Steenson!

I would like to share info with those researching Boyd and Stevenson families of Co Antrim:

Stephenson Boyd, c1813, Co Antrim, Ireland, d.1878 Stoneymeadow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
    Margaret Boyd nee Dean, c1824, Antrim, Ireland, d. 1911, Owaka, New Zealand
    - married: 21 May 1842, Bushmill, Co Antrim, Ireland (one record of their marriage has Ballysha...[illegible], Antrim; a couple of other records simply have 'Bally' Co, Antrim)

Stephenson's parents were Robert Boyd and Letitia Stephenson of Billy, Co Antrim.
    There is a possible match for them in the 1841/1851 Census Abstracts (Northern Ireland):
    Boyd, Robert, head, 68, Antrim
    Boyd, Letitia, wife, 64, n/a (nee Steen/Stinson)
    Boyd, Letitia, dau, 28, Dunlace Lr
    Boyd, Ann, dau, 18, Billy
    Boyd - see: Blair, Thomas, grandson, Magherintendry

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Place names in Antrim

You mention that some of your ancestors were born or married in Billy/Bally, though there seems some uncertainty. For information there is a townland called Billy, near Bushmills, in Country Antrim. So Billy is probably what is on the certificates.

Elwyn

chrisby

Hi Victoria, My husband is a Boyd and Stephenson was his great great grandfather. Stephenson's son William his great grandfather, which line to you go back to? Hope to hear from you so that we can share information. I did not know of the 1841/51 Census so that was great to read.

Chris Boyd, North Yorkshire, England

VictoriaB

Hi Chris, nice to hear from you!
    Stephenson and Margaret Boyd are my husband's 3x great grandparents. Their daughter Rachel Boyd had a son named William Boyd (great grandad) who emigrated to NZ. I think you know about our branch via Uncle Ross.
    If you're the same Chris Boyd that I've heard about, reply to me here and I'll e-mail you.

best regards
    Victoria

chrisby

Default Stephenson and Margaret Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
    Hi Chris, nice to hear from you!
    Stephenson and Margaret Boyd are my husband's 3x great grandparents. Their daughter Rachel Boyd had a son named William Boyd (great grandad) who emigrated to NZ. I think you know about our branch via Uncle Ross.
    If you're the same Chris Boyd that I've heard about, reply to me here and I'll e-mail you.

best regards
    Victoria
    Hi Victoria
    Yes I am the same Chris Boyd and my e-mail address is chris_bee AT talktalk DOT net I would be good to catch up

all the best
    Chris
    Last edited by Jan1954; 19-05-2010 at 5:46 AM. Reason: Email address edited to try to avoid spam

Mary Boyd

My spouse is the gg grandson of Stevenson and Margaret (Dean) Boyd through their son John Boyd who emigrated to the US. After arriving in America, John Boyd lived initially in Ohio and finally settled near Boone, Iowa.

This new information about Robert and Letitia is very welcome and interesting.

VictoriaB

Hi Mary, nice to hear from you.
    Which line is your husband from? There is quite a bit on John Boyd's line as some info was recorded in writing years ago. It sure helps! I found that John, James, and Robert emigrated in 1869 to the US, James returned, and then John appears on the census in 1870 living with the sister of his future father-in-law.

Do you know anything else about Robert and Letitia? Or Stephenson and Margaret?

There's also these records that may or may not be related to this family. I don't have the time to research these days, but sometime I'd like to come back to this!

Possible matches "Ireland, Index to Griffith’s Valuation, 1848-1864" (on Ancestry.co.uk):
    Robert Boyd Antrim, Billy, Clogher North/T/Bushmills/Main Street
    Robert Boyd Antrim, Antrim, Bush

Feel free to e-mail me: theboydsnz 'at' hotmail 'dot' com.

best regards,
    Victoria Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Boyd View Post
    My spouse is the gg grandson of Stevenson and Margaret (Dean) Boyd through their son John Boyd who emigrated to the US. After arriving in America, John Boyd lived initially in Ohio and finally settled near Boone, Iowa.

This new information about Robert and Letitia is very welcome and interesting.

Mary Boyd

I've put my husband's family line on my profile page. You can just click my username to see it.

I don't have anything to add to the research at this point. I recently saw this posting and thought I would "check in". If anything else comes up, I will post it here or email you.

If you or any of the other Boyds need to contact me, feel free to send me a PM.

VictoriaB

This was so neat to have 2 cousins reply on here. It's hardly ever happened to me, and twice is all the more fun. Thanks Chris and Mary.

One thing I could add, is that on Margaret (DEAN) BOYD's death certificate, it didn't list her father's name as it wasn't known, but recorded his occupation as butcher.

If any Boyd researchers want to be in touch, please e-mail or PM me.

VictoriaB

Hi cousins, just had a fun discovery to share with you.
    Stephenson and Margaret's youngest son, also named Stephenson but known as Steen, appears to have had a child. His son's named was James Paskell and was born in 1890 to Sarah Paskell and Stephenson Boyd of Gore. Sarah married someone else in 1894 and, as you will know from your records, Steen died in 1904.
    James Paskell married Francis King Kennard and they had 19 children.
    Please get in touch if you'd like to know more.
    Best regards, Victoria

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast