Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Matblack

Default Any ideas what this one is?

Pupil Teacher? Hes only 16 and later goes in to become a Bailiff

Thanks

MB

suedent

It's "Pupil Teacher", something akin to what we'd now call a Classroom Assistant.

Matblack

Ahhhh, great thanks

This census taker seems to have particularly bad handwriting

Any ideas on what it says after Carpenter?

Thanks again

MB

suedent

Quote Originally Posted by Matblack View Post
    Any ideas on what it says after Carpenter?

Thanks again

MB
    "Town Crier"

Now if that's right it's a stroke of luck as there is the potential for loads of information!

Jan1954

Town Crier (Cryer in today's spelling...)

Jan

Peter_uk_can

Re Pupil Teacher.

I have come across these before in an round the 1800's and they were for persons between the ages of about 16 to 19.

So with what look likes the actual term being accurate, I guess the next question is how, why and what they would have actually done.

Not sure what the school leaving age was back then.

v.wells

Town Brewery? Actually that's not bad writing, I have seen far worse! It's easier if you can find similar lettering on other pages.

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_uk_can View Post
    I have come across these before in an round the 1800's and they were for persons between the ages of about 16 and 19.

So with what look likes the actual term being accurate, I guess the next question is how, why and what they would have actually done.

Not sure what the school leaving age was back then.
    I have "pupil teachers" in my tree, the youngest being 14. I have a feeling that the school leaving age was 12 (by the way, that's the age my Gran was when she left school in 1906 and went into "service")

Jan

suedent

From sources I have read Peter I think that their main tasks were helping the younger children with their reading & writing etc. For girls they'd probably help with the needlework too.

Many village schools (I can't speak for town schools) consisted of one, maybe two rooms with children of all ages and abilities sitting together. A potential nightmare for teachers. A pupil teacher will have been invaluable.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hi,

When I've come across words I can't decipher straight away on the census pages this is what I try...

print out the whole page and carefully just cut out the word you're trying to decipher making sure you can see the word clearly. Then compare the letters to others on the page...hopefully the whole page has been written by the same person and you will be able to recognise the way they write and join certain letters.

Hope that helps.

Browneyes x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast