Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    debco

Smile Tracing Service Records of Master Mariners

I have recently acquired the captain's certificate number of my husband's g-g-great grandfather and wondered where I go next. I found his record on the Lloyd's Captains' Register which read as follows:

Wilson, Henry Padstow 1833
    (C. 6,163, Belfast, 1852)

James 1852, B.; Glentanner 26,355 1859-1862, Aust, lost Jan. 2 1862; T.E. Millidge 35, 1863-1865, 1867-1868, Aust., E.I, M.

Because I live in western Canada, any research has to be done long distance and I wondered if there's any way to access or request his records further?

suedent

The LDS catalogue includes Seamen's Tickets. If you live near an LDS FHC it is possible to order the film & then view the film at the centre.

Your nearest centre can be found here:
    https://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Libr...ameset_fhc.asp

and the catalogue can be searched here:
    https://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Libr...meset_fhlc.asp

A Seaman's Ticket usually gives the details of date & place of birth, a brief physical description, a brief service history & also the place they reside when not at sea.

Geoffers

The National Archives (TNA) has loads of research guides - click here and look at those prefixed Merchant Seamen.

In Canada, try - The Maritime History Archive, Memorial University, St John's, Newfoundland, Canada A1C 5S7 www.mun.ca/mha/

Reputation beyond repute

You haven't really told us enough to judge whether this might be useful but the Mormons have also filmed "Trinity House petitions 1787-1854, apprenticeship indentures 1780, 1803-45, pension & almshouse applications etc. circa 1790-1890".

I've underlined the bit that might possibly be of interest. Trinity House records can be a real goldmine if you find your man there.

debco

Thanks for the advice. I'll get checking. I know the family was involved in shipping for most of the 19th century before everyone took up other professions. Our branch moved to Canada to try their luck on the prairies. I'm going to order the films I need tomorrow and see what turns up.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Are there any possible records at the National Archives Kew? If so I go to the archives and hope to go this year if I can help let me know. I am into the royal navy and merchant navy ( just getting to grips) but if I can help let me know. You may be able to help me with my Canadian ancestor.
    Frustrating when you wish you could zip in about 5 minutes to where you want to go

If I cant help Good luck

Jane

debco

That's wonderful. I've actually got a film coming that may have my ancestor's actual ticket on it, so the long search may finally be winding down. Let me know the details on your Canadian ancestor and I'll see what I can do. When are you going to archives? I do a lot of British research currently and the distance is terribly frustrating. I may take you up on the offer as this particular branch of the family were mariners for a few generations. The father of this particular fellow was a mariner as well. Thanks again for the offer, and please do feel free to get me hunting for your Canadian.

jeremy1967

Hi debco!

Try the manuscripts department of the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London.

On the basis of my gg grandfather's certificate number and name, they informed me that they held the application forms and subsequent certificates for the grades of Only Mate, First Mate and Master. I ordered copies of them all, which arrived a few days ago. I'm delighted... so much new information, including a list of every ship he sailed on in his career and dates of engagement.

The email address is: [email protected]

Good luck,
    Jeremy

debco

Default going to the source

I believe you have the right idea. I seem to have spent a lot of time going in circles tracking down microfilms and documents instead of just going to the NMM and letting them tell me what they actually have. I'm sure the cost will be more than worth it if I can finally lay this one to rest. Thanks.

SloopJB

Thumbs up Ships Crew lists and Agreements

Hi Debco,

The information you have seems to list the ships your ancestor captained and the years in question.

I see one ship was lost.

I searched for Glen Tanner and found an interesting account of a voyage from London to NZ.
    freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ourstuff/Glentanner.htm

In 1857 the ship was badly damaged in a storm.

Funny how these things pay back, I found a Daniel Day from Bristol and his family listed as on-board and Daniel Day is one of the names in my family tree, maybe a connection ?????? Now I need to do some research.

I have found crew lists and agreements provide a wealth of information about a seaman. If you know the years and ships number they are produced every six months and a lot of them are in St John's Newfoundland, basically because no one else wanted them and they volunteered to preserve them.

Good for them.

I hope to go to Canada maybe next year to see my relatives records.

My ancestor started as a cabin boy in 1907 so not sure how many of the earlier records are available.

Good hunting, SloopJB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast