Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    debco

Red face Time to write to St. John's

Now I really need to get writing. What kills me is my husband was actually in St. John's last year on business. If only... At least we live in Canada, so I can get the ball rolling. I have the ship number for the Glentanner, so that should link me up with some form of crew agreements if they've got them. Your post has encouraged me to keep at it. Good luck with your ancestor. There are tons of Days involved in shipping through the centuries and it's a good chance you link in there somewhere. Especially if they link back to Bristol and Cornwall. Thanks again.
    Debbie

SloopJB

Smile Crew Lists

Debbie,

It turns out it was not my Daniel Day still if I get several records coming up atleast I know the age of this one and can eliminate him and concentrate on my Daniel Day.

If you give me the ships numbers which correspond to the names you have listed I can easily check if they are held in Newfoundland.

If you know the port where the ships are registered please let me have this also. I sounds like they may be Cornish, but that does not always mean the ship was first registered there.

Generally a sample of the Crew lists are held in the county where the ship was registered in the Uk and the rest are in Canada, Newfoundland.

Look forward to hearing from you, SloopJB.

debco

Default Ship Information

That would be great. Got a little derailed over the summer months but am now back at the research. I'm looking for the following:
    "T.E. Milledge", official number 35130 for the years 1867 and 1868. Looking for any information regarding Henry Wilson, master of this vessel. Captain Wilson (#6163, Belfast, 1852) was born 1833 at Padstow, Cornwall.
    "Glentanner", official number 26,355 from the years 1859 to January 2, 1862 when the ship was lost. Henry Wilson captained the ship during those years.
    I suspect I'm looking at the NMM for his certificate of competency. Anything you find would be marvelous. I sent an enquiry to Maritime History Museum back at the end of June but still have yet to hear anything. Thanks for the offer.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Tracing Master Mariners records for debco

Hi
    I am looking through my Tracing Merchant Seaman publication to see what records are available for Captain Wilson. I will be going 1.11.2008 and again 24.11.2008. Do you have any documents for this man already. I do not want to duplicate what you have. Do you have details the 1861 census for him. Crew lists and agreements details of the ships log (if there is one)
    If you want to email me direct if there is a safe way to let you have me email address we can correspond directly which will be quicker.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I hope that no-one minds me broadening out this subject.

My wife has an ancestor, one William Turner (1803-1873) who was a master mariner but we have no details of his vessels or anything pertaining to his qualifications. He was obviously based in the Cheshire/Lancs area and I imagine he would have sailed out of Liverpool. He was born in Scotland.

If you are going to the National Matime Museum or another source of such records and have the time to look for this sailor I would be very pleased.

cheers
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12