Thread: MCCULLEY ROCK

Knowledgeable and helpful

Question MCCULLEY ROCK

This is a considerable shot in the dark but I am hoping someone can help.
    My husband's ancestors were French Protestant Huguenots who fled from France to Scotland. They eventually made their way to Ireland. We have been told by my husband's late brother that a researcher advised him there was a place called McCulley Rock on the east coast of Ireland. The McCulley family transported cattle from Scotland and landed them at this rock. Apparently there are still descendants living in the surronding small towns around McCulley Rock. I need to know the general area to start my search.
    I have never found it on a map and believe it has not been shown on a map for many years.
    The family immigrated to America at the time of the American revolution some arriving on the Union side of the Mississipi and others on the Confederate resulting in alleged accounts of McCulleys fighting and killing each other in the new country.
    Hopefully someone has heard of this place or can recommend a very old map source for Ireland.
    Thanks
    Marj.

mak657

Red face We may be Related

Hello There!

I found your thread by googleing Mccully Rock In Ireland because my family is too from Ireland/Scottland. My family also is said to have connections to the French Hugeunot's, but our family is said to have gone to Ireland. My grandfather told us that there was two brothers, one went to Ireland and one to Scottland.

If you would like email me and we can see the similarities between our families.

I am looking foward to hearing from you.

Melissa

The 1901 Irish census has a total of 340 people named McCulley/McCully. The majority lived in Cos. Antrim and Down though the name is found elsewhere. The majority are Presbyterian. So the Scottish name, location and the denomination make it 98% certain they originated in Scotland, generally in the 1600s.

Significant numbers of Huguenots refugees came to England, Scotland & Ireland from the 1680s onwards, after the Edict of Nantes was revoked, which led to them being persecuted in France. Many were associated with the linen industry and brought those skills to Ireland (and elsewhere). Some settled in Dublin (where there was a Huguenot church for a time) but a significant majority headed for Antrim & Down.
    ELWYN

Thank you Elwyn for that information. It is very interesting.
    My husband came down the McCulley line and I was, as you will remember, a McCullough also from County Down!

Probably related somewhere down the line.

HI Melissa. What an interesting message.
    Did you actually know about McCulley Rock? Or did you just google McCulley?
    I will certainly email you with all the history that I know. I have not actually started on the McCulley line yet but have some information given to us by my brother in law.

Yes we may be related.

My husbands sister lives in Arizona!

Marj.