Legacey

Default Birth Records in Italy

Does anyone know where I can search for a birth was was possibly in Italy? I have just received a marriage certificate for my grandad. He married a lady with the surname Spangully and her father's name is Guiseppe Spangully which I am assuming to be Italian.

I have searched the BMD index and she wasn't born in England.

Geoffers

There have been some quite large communities of Italian immigrants, for quite a while; this might be one of them.

Where and when was the marriage?

Any trace of the name in local directories, or if this was early enough, in the census?

The Anglo-Italian FHS may be able to give specific advice to help

Legacey

The marriage was in 1956, Battersea. Thanks for the link. I'll have a browse through.

Colin Moretti

Unfortunately Spangully won't be the Italian spelling and Italian names are notorious for being corrupted so she may well have been born in the UK, just the surname name spelled differently.

You can try different variations here: https://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html - type the surname in the cognome box - when you find one that works you'll get a distribution map which might be very helpful to narrow down the place of birth of her or her father. One possibility might be SPAGNOLLI.

Good luck

Colin

Legacey

Thanks for that Colin. It's times like this I wonder why I started my family tree!! But I'll find it somehow and it'll just make it all worth it!