jackross

Default Death in Boulogne

Hello
    I have been trying to trace the death of an ancestor for three years and have found out that he died in Boulogne on or around 17 December 1838.
    Someone else did write to the Mairie in Boulogne in 2003 and they said they had no record of the death.
    Apparently William France died intestate in Boulogne, France 17/12/1838 (aged 79) and a widower. I am told there is no entry in the burial register of the Episcopal Chapel at Boulogne sur Mer for William’s burial at this time nor in the registers for Calais and Paris.
    Can anyone help me to find the record of my ancestors death?
    His name was WILLIAM FRANCE and he was a prominent cabinet maker supplying furniture to the Royal Family in England from 1777 until 1825.
    We have no idea what he was doing in France, whether he had moved there, was on business (he actually retired in 1825) or whether he was on holiday.

Many thanks

Jack Ross

Reputation beyond repute

There are a few odds and ends at the National Archives such as series RG 35 that you might like to have a look at. (It is not name indexed in the catalogue although it appears that some third party company is currently digitising the records)

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...4&CATREF=rg+35