initial

Default U.S.D abbreviation on birth cert

Does anyone know what u.s.d. stands for on one of my Nottingham birth certificates ( 1890 ),
    its in the where born section and reads;

1 Allport Street, U.S.D.

I assume its a hospital building of some kind, but i assumed most births were home births at this time.

Thanks

suedent

It stands for Urban Sanitary District

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

USD stands for Urban Sanitary District - part of the local government structure of the time responsible for sewers, drinking water and similar! Very generally speaking - USD for towns and RSD (Rural Sanitary District) for rural areas - both replaced by the Local Government Act of 1894.

Sorry to repeat - I must have been typing this as Sue replied!!!
    Last edited by Barbara Wilkinson; 05-01-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Repeated information

initial

Thanks to both of you for such a quick response, i've looked many times and wondered what it means
    thanks again

apehangmom

Default okay dumb question 1#

OKay I didnt get it.... why would they let you know this on a birth certificate.. ... USD Urban Sanitary District.. DOes that mean what? I dont even want to try to sound dumb.. I have read the posts but cant figure how was this title used. sorry I am trying to learn so when this problem presents it self I have you guys to credit for the answer. thanks christine
    I want to know why this was on a birth certificate... do we need to know if the town was USD? thanks .. chris
    Last edited by apehangmom; 28-05-2008 at 5:01 PM. Reason: dumbness on my part

Jan1954

Hi there Chris,

Remember, we're talking about Britain here and how the boundaries were set up.

UD stands for Urban District
    RD stands for Rural District
    USD stands for Urban Sanitary District.

This is similar to modern Council boundaries. Each town/city/village is answerable to a council. I live in a village so I pay my Council Tax for services provided by both the Parish council (which covers the village) as well as the City Council (as my village falls within the Rural District of the council).

I hope that this helps.

Guy Etchells

Quote Originally Posted by apehangmom View Post
    OKay I didnt get it.... why would they let you know this on a birth certificate.. ... USD Urban Sanitary District.. DOes that mean what? I dont even want to try to sound dumb.. I have read the posts but cant figure how was this title used. sorry I am trying to learn so when this problem presents it self I have you guys to credit for the answer. thanks christine
    I want to know why this was on a birth certificate... do we need to know if the town was USD? thanks .. chris
    Urban Sanitary Districts were formed as a result of the 1873 & 1875 Public Health Acts they were not new divisions of local government but existing authorities that were given a different name and responsibilities.

They lasted until 1894 and the Local Government Act 1894 merged them into corporations and urban districts.

The name is not really important what was important was the USD rated the inhabitants to provide relief for the poor and had responsibilities for the poor of the district amongst their other responsibilities.
    Cheers
    Guy

apehangmom

Default USD abb.

Thanks .. 2# dumb question..OKay so USD was just a name like UD and RD . But what qualified the area to be USD. OKay so its just a place name .. So did every town have this or was this just one area .. sorry,, I guess I wonder too much... I am interested in UK stuff. christine..

apehangmom

Default USD

Okay I am kinda getting it ... Does this mean that the birth certificate read that the town that this child was born in was rated in a certian way.. that it was a sanitairy town that helped it's poor. ??? AM I even going inthe right direction with this .. thank you chris

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Chris,
    When I was new to genealogy I vividly remember reading the first paragraph of https://www.origins.org.uk/genuki/NFK...hite1883.shtml
    and thinking . I have now managed to work them all out , but there are so many 'layers' of government in England that is it very easy to get confused.
    This might help with sorting out some of the layers
    https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/types/index.jsp

In very broad terms U.S.D. was just the area that a particular town 'governed' between 1875 and 1894, after which the areas still existed but under another name.(Urban District Councils)
    Googling for 'Urban Sanitary District' may help, but equally may confuse you even more.
    Pam