suedent

Default Query about GRO Regimental Birth Indices 1761-1924

I have a relative who according to his 1889 census was a Sargeant in the Army Service Corps.

In 1901 he pops up again as a checker at Pickfords, widowed with two children born in Ireland.

When I checked the GRO Regimental Birth Indices 1761-1924 I actually found 3 children
    Each child had two references.
    ie.
    TAPE Mabel E Dublin 1890 ASCC&T Vol 645 Page 59
    TAPE Mabel E Dublin 1890 Vol 644 Page 120

TAPE Edwin J Curragh 1892 ASCC&T Vol 645 Page 59
    TAPE Edwin J Curragh 1892 Vol 644 Page 120

TAPE Beatrice E Curragh 1894 ASCC&T Vol 645 Page 59
    TAPE Beatrice E Curragh 1894 Vol 644 Page 120

Will the references both give the same information or will it be worth applying for both?

Incidentally the child that was missing in 1901 had died in Q1 1897 in Farnham registration district where her mother Selina had died the previous year.
    Last edited by suedent; 05-01-2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Corrected typo

Reputation beyond repute

I would guess there's only one certificate...

I wonder what would happen if you ordered just one certificate but quoted both reference details...

Mary S (WA)

Default Regimental births

How did you locate your info? Would that source have a record of my dad?
    Details:William James Bradley born 26 September 1911 at Aldershot Hampshire Father: Irish private (James Bradley) in the Loyal North Lancs Reg
    Mother Mary Bradley (nee Harrington) also from ireland.
    I have not been able to find any details of James and Mary other than they must have been already at Aldershot before WW1 since that was where dad was born.
    No one has been able to help with marriage details. What constitutes a regimental birth?

Cheers,
    Mary S

the based a is born 26 Spe 1911
    Quote Originally Posted by suedent View Post
    I have a relative who according to his 1889 census was a Sargeant in the Army Service Corps.

In 1901 he pops up again as a checker at Pickfords, widowed with two children born in Ireland.

When I checked the GRO Regimental Birth Indices 1761-1924 I actually found 3 children
    Each child had two references.
    ie.
    TAPE Mabel E Dublin 1890 ASCC&T Vol 645 Page 59
    TAPE Mabel E Dublin 1890 Vol 644 Page 120

TAPE Edwin J Curragh 1892 ASCC&T Vol 645 Page 59
    TAPE Edwin J Curragh 1892 Vol 644 Page 120

TAPE Beatrice E Curragh 1894 ASCC&T Vol 645 Page 59
    TAPE Beatrice E Curragh 1894 Vol 644 Page 120

Will the references both give the same information or will it be worth applying for both?

Incidentally the child that was missing in 1901 had died in Q1 1897 in Farnham registration district where her mother Selina had died the previous year.

v.wells

The information is available on FMP under Army Births/Deaths/Overseas Marriages. Usually if the person was in active service at time of marriage then they had to apply to their commander for permission to marry.

I have an Irish ancestor who was on leave and married in an RC Church and it is not recorded on his attestation papers/service record. If you find your person in the above register which supplies the GRO reference, then you can order the registration cert in the normal way from GRO quoting Army Births/Deaths/Overseas Marriages and the book year.