Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    coseley

Default Base child/illegitimate?

Can anyone tell me please what is the difference between a "base child of" and an "illegitimate child". I have found both descriptions are used in old parish registers sometimes in the same handwriting within several entries suggesting there must be a difference between the two. Wondered if perhaps one referred to a single mother and one to an unmarried couple. Thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

They both mean the same thing. Some may claim that one is more derogatory than the other but you'd have to do a bit more research in that particular parish to form an opinion.

Don't forget that any moral judgement is going to be influenced by the impact on poor law obligations.

Basically it's all down to the whim of the parson at the time the entry was made (although it's a fair bet that 'filius meretricis' was intended to be derogatory ).

You'll find many more terms as you work through more registers. 'Merrily begotten' is my favourite.

busyglen

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post

You'll find many more terms as you work through more registers. 'Merrily begotten' is my favourite.
    I like that one Peter, sounds much better!

Glenys

Pity you didn't have the vicar where some of mine were christened, he didn't mince his words, using the B word in full. No confusion there.

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Base child / ........

Does anyone know what term is used in other countries ?

And when a registration is done in an RC church ?

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post

I have one lass in Scotland, who did not marry and died of old age, her illegitimate tag was taken to the grave - getting a final mention on her death certificate, still with both parents named.

A cousin sent me transcripts from 1836+ records in Germany, and it seems that it was the done thing in this particular Parish to record the status for everyone at all events. At the baptism of the first child it was pointed out that the parents were engaged. Then it was for the next kids - first legitimate child, second legitimate child etc. On the marriage records the birth status of the bride and groom were mentioned.

On baptism records here in Australia, I would imagine that the same terms would be used as in England and Ireland, as the ministers were of the same origins.

I cannot help from experience, as the only baptism records I have are from St James, Melbourne (C of E). In this case, the parents had been married a little over a year beforehand - and they brought back older children to be baptized. A different minister officiated. No comments were made.

'Registration's apply to civil birth records - they were not done at the church, though I suppose it could happen that the local minister was also the local registrar. I have many illegitimate kids in my lines, but on the registration documents there is never any comment made about the circumstances, it will just have 'Not Married', a line through it, or left blank in the information about the father's column.

Parents also lie about their marital situation in both baptisms and civil registrations - so any comments depend on the local knowledge of the minister making the baptism record, and his personal feelings.

ChristineR

Guy Etchells

They both me the same.
    One reason for the use of different terms in parish registers written in the same hand is very basic.

All (or at least the majority) of parish register entries should be transcripts.

The various events are first recorded in a day book, then at the end of the week the events of the week were transcribed into the parish register.

The 70th. Canon in 1603 puts it this way

“In every Parish Church and Chapel within this Realm shall be provided one Parchment Book at the charge of the Parish, wherein shall be written the day and year of every Christening, Wedding, and Burial which have been in that Parish since the time that the Law was first made in that behalf, so far as the ancient Books thereof can be procured, but especially since the beginning of the Reign of the late Queen. And for the safe keeping of the said Book the Churchwardens at the charge of the Parish shall provide one sure Coffer with three Locks and Keys whereof the one to remain with the Minister and the other two with the Churchwardens severally so that neither the Minister without the two Churchwardens, nor the Churchwardens without the Minister shall at any time take that
    Book out of the said Coffer. And henceforth upon every Sabbath Day immediately after Morning or Evening Prayer the Minister and Churchwardens shall take the said Parchment Book out of the said Coffer, and the Minister in the presence of the Churchwardens shall write and record in the said Book the names of all persons christened together with the names and surnames of their parents, and also the names of all Persons married and buried in that Parish, in the week before, and the day and year of every such Christening, Marriage and Burial. And that done they shall lay up that Book in the Coffer as before;"
    Cheers
    Guy

billysax

Quote Originally Posted by Rove View Post

As a sacristan at my RC Parish church, one of my duties is to complete the Baptismal Register, with details supplied by the Parents or Parent, ready for the Priest to sign. In many cases the parents names are different. Sometimes only the Mother's name is supplied. There is never any mention of a child being "baseborn" "illegitimate" or any other term which may apply.

I have just come across the term "base child" in the baptism register for Llangristiolus, Anglesey for 1829. the page I fell on had six cases of "case child" where they are given the names of parents, mother with her maiden name, with a line between to probably signify that the parents were not married. Checking backwards and forwards I can see that this was very common at the time/in the area.