jmcp

Default DOOLAN, Nicholas

Am looking for birth and/or immigration records for my ancestor, Nicholas DOOLAN, who was born 1819 in Dublin, Ireland.

Nicholas lived near Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia from c1839 to 1882 where he died at aged 63 of "spasms of the bowels". From his death certificate I was able to piece together his place of birth and his year of birth, but have been unable to find any immigration records or confirmation of his birth. His father is listed as William Doolan, and his mother as Ellen Unknown.

Any help would be appreciated.

Julie
    Last edited by jmcp; 17-12-2007 at 6:54 AM. Reason: Incorrect first name

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi Julie,

did Bernard have any children born in Victoria?

edit that - I now see that you mean Nicholas, is this the fellow who married Anne Carrigg/Carrick.
    They lived in other parts of Victoria as well, looks like they were following the gold fields - Any of those children's birth certs after 1853 might confirm his place of birth.

Christine
    Last edited by ChristineR; 16-12-2007 at 8:10 AM. Reason: looked up wrong name

jmcp

Christine

Nicholas had 9 children born in Victoria, and on HIS death certificate it states he was born in Ireland and had been here for 43 years. His year of birth is therefore 1819. He also had a son Nicholas, and on son's birth certificate it states that father was born in Dublin. It all adds up until I go searching for the elder Nicholas in Ireland.. therein lays my

Do you have any suggestions about looking for births in Ireland? I have yet to find one of my ancestors over there...

I hope your Irish lot were better with their ages than mine were - one of mine stayed the same age from when he married (in Ireland) until his second child!

I see from his marriage in Victoria that they were Roman Catholic, or at least one of them was.

Dublin is both a county and a city. You will be looking for a baptism, which may take place soon after he is born or later on. Apparently all RC baptisms are available for Dublin, just a matter of getting access. The Mormons may have filmed some records.

Everything there is to know can be found on GENUKI pages.
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/

Sorry I cannot be of more help - I have my Irish in the too hard basket.

Sometimes you can be lucky enough to identify siblings, and get parental information that way if they marry here in Victoria from July 1853 - or from a second marriage. I was recently given shipping records for two of my Irish brothers - and I was astounded to see that their parents names and occupations were recorded too. I wasn't expecting that much information, but they were assisted immigrants, they came to Victoria via NSW.

ChristineR

The other thing I meant to say, if he was here from 1839 - that is from the beginning of the official settlement of Victoria - is it possible that he was a convict?

ChristineR