Thread: Bundy research

Tony Badder

Default Bundy research

IS anyone researching the Bundy family of Downton?

Tony Badder

cheryle.f

Smile re-bundys

Hi tony,cheryle.f here....at the moment my research is and always has been in Downton and is of the Musselwhite family...but in every census i,ve ever looked at going right back to 1851 for parish records the bundys and the moodys are their neighbours. When we went to the churchyards to find grave stones for our family name there were none but in both main graveyards we visited it seemed that nearly every other one was a bundy. I am nearly sure also that somewhere in my paperwork one of my feamales married a Bundy. I'll have to have a look back and try to find it. It seems like in the villages as they didnt travel very far at all in those days they normally ended up marrying into another large family in the village which is lucky for us as it means that they have usually been easier to find. Anyway if i come across any marrying into our family i'll keep in touch...GOOD HUNTING! cheryle.f

Tony Badder

These Bundy were part of the 1836 migration that came to Canada but am stuck at George Bundy who married Mary Hewett in Downton, 1830. His father was supposedly George also but it seems a common name and there were 2 births with Georges and same timespan, 1804, so unsure??? If you spot anything would be grateful for any information.
    Regards
    Tony

cheryle.f

Smile re Bundys

Hi again Tony...just been on another site i belong to and a lady had posted info on her site of strays from Wiltshire in many different counties and also other info. I happened to notice as i was looking through for Musselwhites this little snippet of info and thought i would post to you just incase you didnt already have.
    Wilts Strays in Lancs in 1871 dated as Feb 2005

Joseph Dyson
    Sarah Dyson 41 born Minestead Hants
    William son 1 born Burnley Lancs
    Henry Bundy 74 father in law retired brick and tilemaker born Downton Wilts
    All living West Hill Barrowford Lancs

I,ve only been through the 1871 info so far and lots more to go very interesting stuff for any of us looking for Wiltshire names but i.ll bet my bottom dollar there will be someone from everyone elses family except mine! Best wishes cheryle

cheryle.f

Smile re bundys

PS and another little bit from the Parish Registers in Salisbury Lib. Marriages 1791-1808

19 April 1798 Mary Musselwhite spinster marries Thomas Bundy

Banns read Ursula Bungey and Georrge Harris... regards cheryle

(hope hes one of yours)

Tony Badder

Hi Cheryle thanks for the connection. Will have to go look at the site!! Not sure on Henry yet though but is possibly related???

Tony

Tony Badder

Not sure on Thomas either!! Have to get past George first I guess??????

Tony

cheryle.f

Smile re-George

Hi Tony ....been sitting in Salisbury Lib. this afternoon and found these couple of items if any help. On 13 jan1804 George Bundy was born to George and Mary Bundy (booo46)
    On 01 Sept 1805 George was born to Samuel and Elizabeth but if youve got twins in your family this is why Charlotte was also born 01 sept 1805 to Samuel and Elizabeth(both booo51 and 53)
    And marriage of George Bundy and Mary Hewett took place on 16 Oct 1830 in Downton but not of this Parish but both from Standlynch. I then had a look through the 1841 census to see if i could pick up a Bundy family in Standlynch but they had moved from there by the looks of it as i couldnt find any Bundys,but next time i go i will double check again.
    And also George Bundy visiting the Bourrough Downton in the 1861census age 21 occupation sailor with maybe his brother James age 19 but these are the next generation again, born in 1840's and youv'e probably got them both born Downton.Anyway i picked up births from 1804 to 1807 and marriages from 1813 to 1834 if you want some more info. Really pleased if any of this helps best wishes cheryle ps Banns were read by Henry Bundy could this be his father?
    Last edited by cheryle.f; 05-03-2005 at 8:27 PM.

Tony Badder

Many thanks Cheryle for taking the time out searching in the library for me!
    George and Mary emigrated in 1836 to Canada with their 3 eldest children all girls with what appears half of the Downton population???
    I am approximating his birth at 1804 from the Canadian census! I was not aware of them being from Standlynch though having only their marriage from the IGI. So maybe the George and Mary parents are an avenue to follow!!
    My wifes ggrandmother and George's grandaughter was a twin!!
    Not sure on the other Bundy's seeing they had been left 15 years but does not mean they were not related.
    If you do spot an indication either from the marriage of George and Mary or any Standlynch connections I would appreciate the help.
    Regards
    Tony Badder