Thread: Obituary

VictoriaB

Default Obituary

I'm looking for the obituary of Stephenson Boyd (sometimes Stean, Stephen or Stinson) which was apparently reported in the local paper 1873. He was originally from Antrim, Ireland, but died in Stoneymeadow, Cambuslang, Lanarkshire, Scotland. I've been told that near their home was Hamilton Road, and the name of the paper had Hamilton in it.

Any ideas where to start looking?

Geoffers

The British Library newspaper collection is (presently) at the Colindale Library https://www.bl.uk/collections/newspapers.html
    It has a catalogue which can help you find titles of newspapers in its collection. If you can get to Colindale, you can check for yourself - if not and you can identify the paper, you can order copies on microfilm.

If that is not practical, with the name of a newspaper you may find that the paper is still in print and has its own archive - or that copies are held by the local record office.

Also, GENUKI https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/LKS/index.html
    has a link to a local newspaper

joette

I will have a look for you at the Mitchell over the Christmas break as I will be up in Scotland then.
    It's easy to go in have a look & print the article-now I'm an old pro at it.

VictoriaB

Thank you very much for your help!

VictoriaB

Default 'The Hamilton Advertiser, October 26, 1878'

In case anyone is searching for this family in future, I thought I'd post this here, written exactly how I received it:

"MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR - On Friday a labourer, named Stevenson Boyd, 65 years of age, residing at Stoneymeadow, attended Hamilton Fair, and in the evening accepted a ride home in Mr Craig's (of Crookedshields) machine. They were joined by other two neighbours, arriving in Stoneymeadow about eight pm., when Boyd was carried into his house in an insensible state, but they explained to his wife that he had got rather much drink, and would be better after a sleep. He linger on till six o'clock on Saturday morning, when he expired, remaining unconscious all the time. Some slight marks were seen on his head, which may have been the cause of death, but how he met with them remains yet to be explained. The case is in the hands of the Fiscal at Hamilton."

His death cert says 'supposed fracture of skull, died suddenly'.