Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Loose

JJOP

To Geoffers and GeoffD, thank you for your help too! In reply to your inquiry re phrases, I can't remenber mum having any slightly different, such as mentioned

hbox

Default Loose, Brancaster

Hello - I've just started tracing our family tree and picked up your enquiry from a Google search for "Victory Brancaster". My maternal grandmother, Clara Softly (born 1885) was the grandaughter of Thomas Loose the publican of the Victory. She appears in the 1901 census as a visitor (staying in another property) and (I presume her brother) is in the 1881 census as Thomas's grandson William Softly. An old article in "Norfolk Fair" refers to a number of Loose family members, not all necessarliy related, in Brancaster between 1900 up until today.

Any info on Loose's or Softly's (or Hipkin's from Fakenham, Norfolk) gratefully recieved
    HBOX

Quote Originally Posted by JJOP View Post
    Is there any one out there who can help on information re a very elusive Florence Loose; All I have is a birth certificate for my mother (deceased) which has" father Arthur Spencer Harvey 34years,born Nelson, N.Z. and mother Florence Harvey formerly Loose 22 years, born Brancaster Staithe England, Year of marriage 1911. My mother was born on 3/11/1912 in Adelaide. Their apparently is no record of a marriage in Adelaide. Death of Florence was definitely in Adelaide, but there is no record under her married name ( alias deHarvie). I did not think to check under maiden name, or maybe a defacto "Back" The death would have occured about 1928/1929 when my mum was 16.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Welcome to the forum Hbox

JJOP hasn't posted in a little while, but is still around having last visited yesterday - when one checks the user profile. If you do not hear from her you can contact her by email or PM (Private message)

Just left click on Jenny's user name, and select either option from the blue drop down box that appears.

Good luck with your research.

ChristineR

JJOP

Default Loose Family

Quote Originally Posted by hbox View Post
    Hello - I've just started tracing our family tree and picked up your enquiry from a Google search for "Victory Brancaster". My maternal grandmother, Clara Softly (born 1885) was the grandaughter of Thomas Loose the publican of the Victory. She appears in the 1901 census as a visitor (staying in another property) and (I presume her brother) is in the 1881 census as Thomas's grandson William Softly. An old article in "Norfolk Fair" refers to a number of Loose family members, not all necessarliy related, in Brancaster between 1900 up until today.

Any info on Loose's or Softly's (or Hipkin's from Fakenham, Norfolk) gratefully recieved
    HBOX
    You are right HBOX; there are lots and lots of Loose's, especially in Brancaster.
    I'm still working out who is related to whom. In the 1891 census there is a reference to a William Softly, Head, Widow, 35, a son William, 12, an Eliza, daughter, possibly 10 and another daughter whose name I cannot work out, 8.They are listed below a Thomas Loose, fisherman. I am still awaiting a certificate to confirm that this Thomas is a brother of Henry Loose, also fisherman. I have seen the page about the Victory; another licensee was a Robert Skipper - if its the same Robert he married an Elizabeth Loose; the 1871 census has this one's address as the Victory Inn, occupation as ?? Keeper and fisherman; once again am awaiting a marriage certificate to prove she is the sister of my henry and thomas. I'm afraid I can't much- you just have to keep digging patiently.
    To all those who helped me I know have certificates proving the parentage of my Florence and am now slowly collecting other's to get a picture of the family
    Jenny

jbenefer

Default Harry Loose

Hi Christina,

In your message you mentioned 'Harry Loose'. My Mum remembers him as her uncle (he could charm worts), but I can't find him in my family tree - nearest is Henry Loose. Mum's grandmother was Rose Loose and she knows for a fact Harry called her his sister. Most likely Harry was not his birth name, so I'm trying to place him.

You mentioned a photo with Harry in it - this would be fantastic - would happily trade some of my Mum's stories about him for a copy!

I have a comprehensive family tree on genesreunited and have communicated several times with my S. Australia relations

BTW, my daugher's name is Christina

Hope to hear from you soon - direct email would be fine.

best regards
    Jim Benefer
    Great Grandson of Rose Loose and Herbert Sutherland of Brancaster

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi again
    I did a quick search of the 1881/91 census records and couldn't find an Edna Loose who your mum says was her sister and was already in Austrlai with an aunt. In fact the only birth of an Edna Loose on FreeBMD was in 1911 reg district Docking and mother's maiden name Mitchell.
    Of course FBMD is not complete but the census records for and Edna Loose back this up.
    I wonder if your mum could have meant her mother's sister Ethel who was 2 years older than Florence or Emily b 1877 who appears on the 1891 census with Henry and Christina (and various other spellings) and John b1879 and Henry b1881.
    Harry Loose in the photo could be Henry brother of Florence.
    I can't help you with your research in SA as I am not familiar with what is available. The only experience I have had is with NSW and at least their BMD's are on line.
    Did you find a death for Arthur Spencer Harvey at all?
    I'm sorry I am not really much help but because your information is from your mother's birth certificate I would say that you are on the right track with the Florence we both found even though the age is a few years out.
    There are only 4/5 Florence Loose's in the census 1861 to 1901 and only one in the correct place and time .
    Good luck with it
    Christina

Hello Jim
    People given the birth name Henry were often called Harry so the Henry/Harry mentioned in my post on the 1881 census is one and the same person - Florence and Rose were his sisters as per the census records. Do you have these records? The photo you refer to was mentioned by the originator of this post JJOP whose grandmother was Florence, Harry and Rose's sister. It isn't actually of people but of the houses they lived in. You will have to contact her about it.
    I will email you privately.
    Christina

pearlpinkie

Default Descendant of Arthur T Loose (b. 1884)

Hi Jim, I am the great-granddaughter of Arthur Loose (Rose's younger brother). I would love to be in touch.

Best wishes,
    Zoe
    South coast, England

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123