Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Sorry, cannot help you with Florence, the SA cd I have only goes to 1915/1916 with marriages and deaths, 1906 with births. I can tell you that Florence and Arthur did not marry in Victoria or SA before the birth of your mum. I also checked for LUCE and LOSE but I could not think of other spellings.

You could try posting a new thread and someone with later SA cds might be able to find her death.

By the way, the more I think about that Mary Jane OPIE marriage, the less that I think it is the divorced wife of Edward. I think she really might be the single daughter of John OPIE, married at Edward's residence. If it was Mary Jane's residence it would have said so - the residence of the bride or some such. Her son Edward was only about 18.

cheers
    Christine

JJOP

Thanks Christine for all your help. I'm not at all surprised that you didn't find anything, (although I guess I was hoping that you might have found a marriage,just to prove that everything she told my mum wasn't a fib); however there are other states
    Jenny (JJOP)

CJC42

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    yes SA & Victoria

WA, NSW and Qld are now online for free searching, and I think the Tasmania cd is the same as the database online too.

from the SA marriage index 1842-1916
    Archibald ELLIOT married Mary Jane OPIE, 20th Aug 1862, at the Residence of Edward OPIE, Adelaide
    Reference no: Ade 51/62
    Both of full age, the Groom's marital status not recorded, but Mary Jane said she was single.
    Fathers: Mark ELLIOT, John OPIE

So, if this is she, then she is telling fibs then? her father had to be an OPIE if she was making out she was single.

Christine

edit: or the person filling out the register just did not fill it out right.
    I am not sure if I indicated properly with my last message. I am CJC42. This is fascinating
    information. Iwait to see more.

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

I am not sure if I indicated properly with my last message. I am CJC42. This is fascinating
    information. Iwait to see more.
    That is fine - everyone is automatically named to the top left of the posting. I saw your other post on JJOP's other thread about this family.

I'm not sure if this thread will go any further unless JJOP updates it with new findings.

ChristineR

JJOP

Quote Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
    That is fine - everyone is automatically named to the top left of the posting. I saw your other post on JJOP's other thread about this family.

I'm not sure if this thread will go any further unless JJOP updates it with new findings.

ChristineR
    Am currently on holidays, will be back on my proper computer next week, will add more then
    Jenny

DENNYANN

Smile

hi
    I am researching my Cornwall family Opie's but know they did go to Australia at some point. I have as far back as 1805 and Bennett Opie (I think he died in Australia) I am now getting my tree so far off genes reunited and will post all I know tomorrow on here
    Deeann

DENNYANN

Default I left something out

Further, we are somewhere related to Leyton hewitt (tennis player) what a claim to fame !! lol
    also my gg grandmother was Martha Andrew(s) I have noticed the name Andrew on the forum - same??

JJOP

Hi CJC42,
    Several members of the Devonshire family emigrated to Australia along with Charles and his family; sisters Elizabeth, Ann, and husbands and Mary Jane who married Edward Opie, on the D'Auvergne, arriving in Adelaide in about March 1839.
    I have just started reading a book "The Devonshires From Cornwall" by Pamela R Chismon, who has done a lot of research. I believe she still has copies if you are interested in buying a copy
    Replied also in Devon- forum-I wasn't concentrating

JJOP

Default Opie/Devonshire

An Update for those that are very helpful:
    According to the book "The Devonshires from Cornwall" Mary Jane did marry Archibald Elliot, in 1862, believing that her first husband, Edward Opie, had died in Victoria. However their son discovered that he was ill & back in England, so he travelled back to England in about 1872/1874 and brought the father back with him; where upon Mary separated from Archibald and nursed Edward until he regained some semblance of health, & returned to Melbourne, where he died in 1879! According to the book, there seems to have been no more contact with Archibald Eliott.
    I think there might have been a mistake in the writing up of the marriage record; Mary"s father was a John; but Devonshire not Opie

CJC42

Quote Originally Posted by JJOP View Post
    An Update for those that are very helpful:
    According to the book "The Devonshires from Cornwall" Mary Jane did marry Archibald Elliot, in 1862, believing that her first husband, Edward Opie, had died in Victoria. However their son discovered that he was ill & back in England, so he travelled back to England in about 1872/1874 and brought the father back with him; where upon Mary separated from Archibald and nursed Edward until he regained some semblance of health, & returned to Melbourne, where he died in 1879! According to the book, there seems to have been no more contact with Archibald Eliott.
    I think there might have been a mistake in the writing up of the marriage record; Mary"s father was a John; but Devonshire not Opie
    I am not sure if you got my last message. Mary"s father was John Devonshire & mother was Ann Win m 18/6/1805. He was my gggGrandfather.
    I am keen to purchase the book " The Devonshires from Cornwall"
    Regards
    CJC42

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast