Thread: GRAHAM/GORMAN

urbangypsy

Default GRAHAM/GORMAN

Hi, I'm looking to trace family back to Ireland (Galway I think). Their name is Graham although church records from UK Manchester have their names spelt in many different ways. Our grandad was born 1833 I believe in Galway and his father was named Martin Graham. John Graham moved to Manchester where he married Annie Walsh/Welsh. Any info especially on how to visit Irish record Offices to research would be appreciated.
    Thanks Lynda

urbangypsy

could anyone help/advise on the above thread?
    Thanks so much for help it is appreciated
    Lynda

JacquiA

Hi Lynda,

I have been researching my family in Galway and it isnt easy! What year did John come over to Manchester and what year did he marry? I presume you got the father from the marraige cert.
    I found 2 Johns on the Griffiths valuation /www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.htm couldnt say if either is him. There were no Martin Grahams listed.

John Graham- Town land Kiltullagh, Kilkerrin Co Galway
    John Graham- Townland Coololla, Aughrim Co Galway

Civil registration didnt start until 1864 so you wouldnt be able to find his birth of 1833. If you were to look for his baptism you would need to know the area within Co. Galway. You would also need to know if he was Catholic or Church of Ireland. The only census available to look at are the 1901 and 1911 but they, it seems wouldnt be any use if he was already in England

I am by no means an expert I just keep plugging away with some degree of success, I am sure there are far more knowledgeable people than I out there who could give you better advice.

Jacqui

ps the Griffiths Valuations were taken in about 1855ish

urbangypsy

thank you so much for getting back to me, sorry for late reply but have been away.
    John Graham was born 1833 and was born in Galway. He was married in 1851 (have certificates) at the age of 18. Not sure what year he arrived in the UK will have a look at my family tree as have listed all the census entries for him. He died in 1897 and we have the death certificate. His wife was callled Annie Walsh/Welsh/Welch although we are pretty sure it is Walsh and the others are just spelling mistakes. We have her as being born in Hacklestown Kildare born 1836 but not sure where I managed to get that info from. John and Annie had 8 children that we kinow of, Thomas (grandfather to my husband) and another son called Patrick who emigrated to Oz. We have met all his grandchildren. Another son called Martin had quite a lot of children but whilst we have their names I have been unable to get any further finding them. I am only a novice with this research and for the last 16 months have found nothing new to add to my tree which is frustrating. I thought about going to Dublin to the records office but am not sure if that would be of any use to me. Do you know anything about the Dublin office records?
    Thanks again so much for getting back to me it is appreciated.
    Lynda

JacquiA

If one of their children was born in Ireland after 1864 then you could get that childs birth certificate, that would give you the area.

Good luck!

Jacqui

urbangypsy

All the 8 children of John Graham and Annie Walsh were born in Manchester where they married.
    Seems such a shame that I cannot get any more info either forward or back on the family tree.
    Maybe I should consider going to Dublin records office to do some searching there, do you know anything about it?
    Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated
    Lynda