Jan1954

Post Pickett & Strudwick of Rudgwick

William Stephen Pickett was born in Rudgwick about 1825, the eldest (I think) child of Stephen Pickett and Sarah Anne Strudwick.

Sarah was born in Rudgwick abt 1803 and Stephen was born in Rusper abt 1799. Both of these places are repeated on various censuses.

However, I have not yet been able to find their marriage. My cousin, who lives in Sussex, had a scout through the Rudgwick PRs but could not find it. Nor could he find a baptism for William.

All of their subsequent children were born in Hastings (I've found 6 of them so far), but have yet to find their baptisms either.

So, what I'm after is:

Baptisms for William Stephen Pickett abt 1825, Stephen Pickett abt 1799 and Sarah Ann Strudwick abt 1803.

Also, a marriage/banns for Stephen and Sarah for any time +/- 1825 in Rudgwick/Rusper area.

A clue: I think that Stephen's father was Peter Pickett, whose house was used as a meeting place for the Methodist church before formal church buildings were built. Could this explain why I've been unable to find them in the PRs?

Lots of hugs and thanks for any help that can be given for this.

Jan

Jane M

Jan,
    Stephen & Sarah Anne married in Surrey (from the Surrey Marriage Index)
    0006 1824 (I take that to mean there was no day but June 1824) Stephen Pickett to Sarah Anne Strudwick, Reigate.
    I have Rusper & Rudgwick pr's & I can only find the baptism of Sarah Anne Strudwick 6/8/1803 d/o John & Sarah. This looks like their marriage from the Sussex Marriage Index,

Rudgwick, West Sussex, 12 Apr 1796:
    John STRUDWICK, widr
    Sarah HOAD, sp botp (B)
    Witness wit; WmAGATE; Mary HOAD

No sign of a baptism for Stephen Pickett in Rusper around those dates. The IGI has a member submitted entry but very iffy!
    Also nothing for William Stephen Pickett in Rudgwick.
    There is a marriage on the Index for a Peter Pickett in Rusper;

Rusper, West Sussex, 16 Apr 1793:
    Peter PICKET
    Ann SEAGRAVE, botp (B)

I'll try & look into this further for you,

jane

Jan1954

Jane,

Thank you so much!!! This is brilliant!!!

No wonder my cousin couldn't find anything if he was looking in the wrong place...

Could you tell me in which church in Reigate that Stephen and Sarah married?

I really must get down to the other side of the M25...

Thank you once again,

Jan

Jane M

According to the IGI, children attributed to Peter & Ann Pickett seemed to have been baptised as young adults in Horsham Independent church NC.
    The death of Stephen Pickett in 1867, Hastings aged 68 indicates a dob of about 1799.
    I checked Horsham pr's & couldn't find Stephen there either so perhaps you're right about the NC baptism although looking at the IGI the baptism's in the Independent church start in 1828 the other children of Peter & Ann being baptised in the Anglican church.

It only says Reigate, Jan. Check out the church situation in Reigate with a Google search, there was probably only one, the parish church in those days,

Jane

Jane M

Just to add a bit more, although it gets confusing
    I found a baptismal entry in the Rusper pr's;
    William Picket January 13 1799. It's also on the IGI but no parents names which is pretty odd although the Rusper registers are pretty messy & ill kept! Could this be Stephen? I only found evidence of one Picket/Pickett family in Rusper at this time & that's Peter & Ann & then I found an entry for the baptism of Peter Pickett 4/1800 s/o Peter & Charlotte Seagrave There's no marriage of a Peter Pickett to a Charlotte on the SMI, only;

Rusper, West Sussex, 19 Jul 1798:
    William PICKETT
    Charlotte SEAGRAVE, botp (B)

Then there's the baptism of Ann Picket 1/8/1802 d/o William & Charlotte.
    Did the vicar make a mistake on the register when he wrote s/o Peter & Charlotte & it should have been William & Charlotte????

jane

Jan1954

Jane,

Aaaargh!!!

Is all I can say! LOL

This is a great start to sorting out this side of my family - I mean it! Even with all the confusion, it's helpful.

William (1799) I'm wondering if is Stephen. His son was William Stephen, so it's a possibility. Maybe he didn't like to use the name William...

I think that I shall have to get down to Surrey & Sussex to have a rummage amongst any NC records that they might have.

Strange about the little foray that Stephen and Sarah had into Reigate, especially as their first son was born back in Rudgwick, where Sarah was born. Sarah's mum (Sarah nee Hoad) was still living there in 1841 and young William was staying with his grandmother. Sad about William - he killed himself at the age of 42.

Thanks again for all your help - it's very much appreciated.

Jane M

My thoughts exactly about William (1799)
    I don't know why Stephen & Sarah Anne decided to marry in Reigate. If she was born 1803 that would make her 21 & didn't need her parents consent. Maybe she & her family were living in Reigate at the time?
    If you haven't already found the Reigate church, it would have been St. Mary Magdalene in Reigate. All the other churches in Reigate were of a later date. Surrey History Centre has a list of parishes, dates & churches.

I don't know if you are aware but the name Pickett is inter-changeable with the name PIGGOTT, so bear that in mind when researching.

Just to spice this up Charlotte & Ann (Nan) Seagrave were sisters both daughters of Thomas & Hannah. Nan baptised 14/8/1774 & Charlotte 28/6/1785 at Rusper. Their marriages to Peter & William Pickett are the only two in the name of Pickett in Rusper. This lead me to think that perhaps Peter & William were brothers & I found a William & Peter PIGGOTT sons of Henry & Elizabeth PIGGOTT baptised DORKING, Peter, 5/2/1769 & William, 2/1/1774. Perhaps a red herring but I think not.
    The IGI gives a member submitted entry for William Stephen sr. Pickett born 1825 Rudgwick, baptised St. Mary White Chapel, Stepney, married Harriett Maria Ludbrook, 1856, Tunbridge Wells, Kent. Died 25/9/1867, Tunbridge Wells. As with all member submitted entries it could be a work of fiction.
    I noticed from the IGI that the children of William & Charlotte Pickett followed the same baptismal pattern as that of Peter & Ann, i.e, their children were baptised in the NC church at Horsham as young adults, which gives extra credence to them being brothers.
    So, in conclusion, your Stephen or William (1799) could have been the son of William or Peter Pickett. You need to dig around for another form of documentation perhaps a will or property document that might confirm this.

jane

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
    My thoughts exactly about William (1799)
    I don't know why Stephen & Sarah Anne decided to marry in Reigate. If she was born 1803 that would make her 21 & didn't need her parents consent. Maybe she & her family were living in Reigate at the time?
    Another jigsaw piece for me to investigate.

Just to spice this up Charlotte & Ann (Nan) Seagrave were sisters both daughters of Thomas & Hannah. Nan baptised 14/8/1774 & Charlotte 28/6/1785 at Rusper. Their marriages to Peter & William Pickett are the only two in the name of Pickett in Rusper. This lead me to think that perhaps Peter & William were brothers & I found a William & Peter PIGGOTT sons of Henry & Elizabeth PIGGOTT baptised DORKING, Peter, 5/2/1769 & William, 2/1/1774. Perhaps a red herring but I think not.
    This is really helpful - thank you - and gives me another line to follow. I knew that Peter was from Dorking, but hadn't seen his brother.

The IGI gives a member submitted entry for William Stephen sr. Pickett born 1825 Rudgwick, baptised St. Mary White Chapel, Stepney, married Harriett Maria Ludbrook, 1856, Tunbridge Wells, Kent. Died 25/9/1867, Tunbridge Wells. As with all member submitted entries it could be a work of fiction.
    I have a copy of William's death certificate - he "cut own throat whilst not of sound mind". (yuk!)

Thank you so much for this extra information - and the links - it certainly gives me more routes to follow.

Jan

Jane M

Hi Jan,
    You're up & about nice & early
    I had another thought about this Stephen or William (1799) If (big IF) his father was William maybe they/he used the name Stephen to distinguish from his father?
    I have Dorking pr's if you need further help also Surrey Marriage Index. I looked at the baptismal entries for William & Peter & there were no further details.

Jane

Jane M

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post

I have a copy of William's death certificate - he "cut own throat whilst not of sound mind". (yuk!)
    Perhaps he was doing family research