Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Geoffers

Default The Navy List, August 1914

I picked up an old copy of the Navy List dated August 1914.

It lists Officers and some senior Warrant Officers, seniority, ships and other odd bits and pieces. Many Libraries and record offices will keep a partial run of the Navy List, but it isn't always possible for everyone to get there.

So, if anyone with Naval ancestors at the outbreak of the Great War would like a look up, just reply to this message.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Geoffers
    I'm ashamed to say that I'm not too up on ranks, but my Grandfather Henry Charles Haselgrove was promoted from PO 1st Class to Acting CPO around 1914. Would that be too junior??
    Regards
    Peter

Geoffers

[I'm ashamed to say that I'm not too up on ranks, but my Grandfather Henry Charles Haselgrove was promoted from PO 1st Class to Acting CPO around 1914. Would that be too junior??]

Depends on what he did, some Warrant Officers e.g. Boatswains and Carpenters are included, others are not.

I've checked for your grandfather - sorry to say he's not included.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Hi Geoffers
    Thanks anyway, it was worth a try. My GrandDad was into Torpedoes: surface launched, not from Subs.
    Peter

Terry

Default Rn Ww1

Hi, I would love a look up please for Alfred James Stevenson, was said by family to have been a Master at Arms.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Terry
    Hi, I would love a look up please for Alfred James Stevenson, was said by family to have been a Master at Arms.
    Sorry, not recorded in the Navy List. I checked under STEVENSON and STEPHENSON

Geoffers

MichaelD

Default Re Ww1 Rn Lookup

Hi Geoffers.

My grand father Edward Joseph Stafford joined the RN in 1910 - registered number RN- K5697. He was an Australian and was loaned to the R.A.N. for the duration of WW1. He served on the HMAS Australia and ended up a PO Stocker. I would appreciate a lookup on your list to see if he is there.

Regards, MichaelD

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelD
    My grand father Edward Joseph Stafford joined the RN in 1910 - registered number RN- K5697. He was an Australian and was loaned to the R.A.N. for the duration of WW1. He served on the HMAS Australia and ended up a PO Stocker. I would appreciate a lookup on your list to see if he is there.
    Regards, MichaelD
    Sorry, no trace. Ships in the service of the 'Dominion Government of Australia' are listed, ERAs are included, but not P.O. Stokers.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

MichaelD

Thanks for the effort Geoffers.

Regards, MichaelD

Kersfam

Default John Lawrence Kerslake

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I picked up an old copy of the Navy List dated August 1914.

It lists Officers and some senior Warrant Officers, seniority, ships and other odd bits and pieces. Many Libraries and record offices will keep a partial run of the Navy List, but it isn't always possible for everyone to get there.

So, if anyone with Naval ancestors at the outbreak of the Great War would like a look up, just reply to this message.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire
    I am looking for JOHN LAWRENCE KERSLAKE, who believed to have joined Navy 1901 aged 18. Believe he had some connection with HMS LOUVAIN pre 1915 or just after it was commandeered by RN in 1915. I have a photo of him in "Whites" with three stripes on left sleeve. Do you know what this means? also believe he was something to do with Armourers Crew. Can you help?
    Many thanks
    Debbie
    UK
    Ps. new mbr!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast