Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    teabageaston

Default Another request

I'd be grateful for a look up to shed some light on James Peek (or Peck) who is described as captain RN on my great uncles birth certificate and the ship is given as HMS Minona (though the writing is not clear) He was in scotland from 1915 onwards and appears elsewhere as a master mariner

many thanks

Paul Easton

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by teabageaston
    I'd be grateful for a look up to shed some light on James Peek (or Peck) who is described as captain RN on my great uncles birth certificate and the ship is given as HMS Minona (though the writing is not clear) He was in scotland from 1915 onwards and appears elsewhere as a master mariner
    I think the ship is HMS Minerva (1914), Lt Crusier, 5,600 tons, 11x6" guns, 8x12pdr, 3rd Fleet, Portsmouth. William Macdonald, Commander.

August 1914 - No trace of James Peck or Peek in Active or Reserve lists. Nearest miss is James PARK, Lieutenant RNR, seniority of 25 Mar 1903.

Geoffers

mr sandbanx

Frederic Suttcliffe EARLE (Born NORTHLEACH, Gloucestershire.):

When World War I broke out Frederic was stationed on HMS Temeraire at Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands north of Scotland. Temeraire, part of the 4th battle squadron of the British Grand Fleet, participated in the battle of Jutland on May 31, 1916.

In 1917, he was transferred to HMS Lightfoot, a destroyer and remained there until 1918.

In 1918 and until his release from the navy in 1920, Frederic served on HMS Velox under Commander Fischer Burges-Watson and traveled to the Baltic Sea north of Russia during the Bolshevik revolution. Before this ship departed, there are records of an attempted mutiny by some 100 men, who dreaded the idea of going into the cold northern sea.

In particular would like names of crew mates, officers of these ships,

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mr sandbanx
    Frederic Suttcliffe EARLE....When World War I broke out Frederic was stationed on HMS Temeraire at Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands north of Scotland. Temeraire, part of the 4th battle squadron of the British Grand Fleet, participated in the battle of Jutland on May 31, 1916.
    If you look back at the start of this thread, I mention that this copy is dated August 1914 so I can only check for that date:

The Navy List includes Officers (Active and Reserve) plus some senior warrant ranks. There is no trace of Frederic Suttcliffe Earle, so I guess he didn't fall into this catergory.

HMS Temeraire: Battleship (Dev) 4th Battle Sqdn. Commissioned Aug 1907, Re-commissioned 1913 - 18,600 tons, Crew 733-793, 520ft waterline length, , 21 kts (in trials) 10x12" guns, 16x4" guns.
    Captain Edwyn S Alexander-Sinclair
    Commander Thomas N James
    another 55 officers are mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by mr sandbanx
    In 1918 and until his release from the navy in 1920, Frederic served on HMS Velox under Commander Fischer Burges-Watson,
    This Velox replaced another ship of the same name which was mined off the Nab in 1915.

Destroyer
    Velox (1917) c.1300 tons, 312 ft, 34 kts, crew 110, 4x4 inch guns.

My gt-grandfather was Lieutenant in Velox in 1917

Geoffers

The NMM at Grenwich have a good photo of Velox

vetsy

Smile Manchip

Dear Geoffers

My great grandfather served in the Navy during WWI. I don't know if he was an officer or not. His name was Frank Manchip.

If you could search you records I would really appreciate it.

Kind Regards
    Vetsy
    Australia

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by vetsy
    Dear Geoffers
    My great grandfather served in the Navy during WWI. I don't know if he was an officer or not. His name was Frank Manchip.
    If you could search you records I would really appreciate it.
    Sorry, no trace of your chap in either the Active or Reserve List in the August 1914 Navy List.

Geoffers

busyglen

Geoffers, does the Navy List include Royal Marines? I'm interested in anything to do with my father George William Henry JARVIS. He served for 22/23 years and was in the 1914/18 war, being torpedoed twice. Once I believe on the Aragon and then by the Attack. (May have been the other way round). Survivors were picked up from the first attack, and then that ship was hit. Luckily he survived both.

There are three George Jarvis's listed on `tilbste's' index, so wonder if one of them is he?

Glenys

davebland

Question Mary Rose

Geoffers hi,
    My Great uncle Joe Hepworth was one of the unfortunates sunk with the Mary Rose. Oct 1917. His wife was with him at Scapa Flow so I assume he held 'rank' I would very much appreciate any info that you can dig up either on Joe or the Mary Rose.
    Thanks
    Dave

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by busyglen
    Geoffers, does the Navy List include Royal Marines?
    It includes Commissioned Officers

I'm interested in anything to do with my father George William Henry JARVIS. He served for 22/23 years and was in the 1914/18 war, being torpedoed twice.
    The only George JARVIS mentioned is a Gunner RN (seniority of 12 Jun 1904), borne in HMS Lyra, a Torpedo Boat Destroyer, 730 tons, part of the 2nd Destroyer Flotilla.

No George JARVIS in the RM part of the list.

Once I believe on the Aragon and then by the Attack.
    HMS Attack was a Torpedo Boat Destroyer, 785 tons, 2x4in guns, 2x12pdrs. Attached to the First Destroyer Flotilla, she was torpedoed by a German submarine off Alexandria on 30 Dec 1917.

Offhand I can't remember anything about Aragon, but I'll go throguh my books and see if I can find owt.

Geoffers

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by davebland
    My Great uncle Joe Hepworth was one of the unfortunates sunk with the Mary Rose. Oct 1917. His wife was with him at Scapa Flow so I assume he held 'rank' I would very much appreciate any info that you can dig up either on Joe or the Mary Rose.
    I see that on the CWGC web-site, he is shown as having been an ERA4c. Sorry, but these are not recorded in The Navy List. Only Commissioned Officers and senor warrant ranks are included.

The HMS Mary Rose 'M' class destroyer (1915), 1,000 tons, 34 kts, 3x4in guns, crew 80.
    For an account of the sinking of Mary Rose and Strongbow by German Cruisers off the coast of Norway, see
    https://www.hmsstrongbow.org.uk/sinking.htm

Geoffers

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast