Jan1954

Thumbs up Blacksmiths in Tenterden

My family of Milsteds settled in Tenterden Kent for more than 500 years, setting up and carrying on many businesses, including Blacksmiths.

They were later to become Engineers and ironfounders making iron work for Henry 8th's Warships.

For three hundred years they built agricultural machinery for farmers in the area as well as most of the ironworks in and around Tenterden. The cemetery gates still bear the inscription "Charles Milsted & Sons".

With the early advent of the motor car they were the first in Kent to install a petrol pump.

Some of the firm's premises and houses still stand today, but, of course, with different usage. The 1920's showroom for the motor car is now an Indian Restaurant.

The Milsted firm made an enormous contribution to the war effort in the second world war. The Company closed in December 1959 ending 450 years of service to the community.

However, the local Museum has a few items made by the Milsteds and other memorabilia.

busyglen

That's really interesting.....great to have so much history in your family tree!

Glenys

Jan1954

Thanks!

I'm just lucky that they didn't move at all!

Jan

Davran

Hi Jan

Yes, you are lucky. My Norfolk blacksmiths were always on the move. We have at least 3 generations, but no idea where to look for them further back.

Tenterden is a lovely village and I imagine was always fairly affluent, so perhaps your family were able to stay put because their clients were sufficiently well off to keep them going. How marvellous to have all that background to your family.

Jan1954

on the other side of the family, my great grandfather was John Smith

Luckily, the Smiths stayed where they were for 200 years so that's not been too bad either! Not much in the way of transport in the wilds of Essex...

Jan

Spangle

Default Milsteds, blacksmiths in Kent

Hello,

My family tree includes a Francis Milsted, from whom I am directly descended. He was born in Chislet, just outside Tenterden if my geography serves me correctly, and he too was a blacksmith. His year of birth is circa 1771, and he was the son of John Milsted and Elizabeth Tench.

After many years the familly ended up in Camberwell, London, where my Great Nan, Alice (then spelling the name as MILSTEAD) was born. I wondered whether my lot have any connection with your own? I have as many as I can find on my tree and will happily send you a link to it if you'd like me to.

Kind regards,

Miranda

Spangle

Sorry Jan, we have been in contact before and can't connect our two families! Forgive me.. too many late nights and too many flaming Milsteds in the County of Kent!

Jan1954

No problem, Spangle!

When I was a child, we were the only Milsteds in Hertfordshire and therefore, my father reckoned that we were the only ones in existence. He still can't get his head round the number of them that I keep digging up!