Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TONGUE-

Sheena O'Fee

Default TONGUE-

Hi folks,
    New to this site!! Sue Mackay suggested I post a thread here and perhaps would get picked up easier.
    I'm trying to trace my ancesters who are Mackay's from Sutherland, and Yes I do know there are hundreds of them. thats where the problem lie's. I do have some information on them and would love to know more, my grandfather's side of the family is mostly from the village of Reay, I think Neil Mackay [my gt,gt,gt,gt grndad]was born in Tongue. I've got scribbled notes everywhere must get organised I would love to know more on my grans side, she died when my dad was 5yrs and the family got split between relitives. Then years later my father died when I was 5yrs of age too. so don;t know that much about the family.,
    Thanks for your reply Sue I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope to hear something [I only found this site by sheer accident!!!!!!!! lucky or whaif there is anyone out there who can help I would be very greatfull. This is what I have so far;-

William Scott b.1780 married Elizabeth Campbell 1780[8 children,Louisa,John,Robert,Colin,Georgeina,Willia mina,Rupertina,Janet.]

daughter Rupertina Scott b.1803 married Neil Mackay b. 1800 Tongue or strathnaver[2 brothers; Angus & John Mackay][5 children;-John b.1828, Barrie b.1830, William b.1830, Henny b.1838, Colin b. 1841.]

son William Mackay 1830 married Jane Fraser b.1834 .Reay[9 children;-Annie 1874,Rupert 1871,William1869,Hugh1867,Neil1865-1955,William1869,George1861-1924,Jane1864
    Colin 1857-1937

son Colin Fraser Mackay b.1857 married Margaret King Manson b 1860 Melvich at Loth in 16/4/1885[6chilren] [William,Alexander,George,Mary, Jane,John]

son William Mackay b.1886 [Reay] married Jessie Mackay [strathy]b.1885 7/1/1918at Helemsdale.[they were my grandparents] Jessie Mackay's parents marked both dead on marraige cert.they were Alexandrina Grant and William Mackay from strathy?.I cant find much information on this side of the family.
    my grandparents Jessie and William [Billy] lived in Caithness around Dunnet area, she died about 1927 he died 1968 approx both are burried in Halkirk [I think] can anyone confirm this?. They had 4 children;- Peggy, Lexie, Colin, & Mackie[Jesson]
    Colin
    being my father. Mackie was brought up by my grans sister nr Betthill.[got married lived in Kirtomy] Lexie & Pegg were in service at a very early age.
    I would be very greatfull for any information, but especially on Jessie Mackay's family.
    thanks in antisipation.
    Sheena

Mary Young

Hello, Sheena
    Welcome to B-G Forums!
    Sue was right, I have picked up your message - but I doubt whether your road leads to Tongue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheena O'Fee View Post
    I think Neil Mackay [my gt,gt,gt,gt grndad]was born in Tongue.
    AFAIK Neil Mackay was born in Farr, declared Farr on every census I've seen.
    It's pure coincidence that I've done some research on Neil and Rupertina's family. They're linked to our family through descendant of their eldest son, JOHN ROBERT MACKAY.
    William Scott b.1780 married Elizabeth Campbell 1780[8 children,Louisa,John,Robert,Colin,Georgeina, Williamina, Rupertina, Janet.]
    I haven't looked at the Scotts at all.
    daughter RUPERTINA SCOTT b.1803 married NEIL MACKAY b. 1800 Tongue or strathnaver[2 brothers; Angus & John Mackay]
    [5 children;-John b.1828, Barrie b.1830, William b.1830, Henny b.1838, Colin b. 1841.]
    Was "Barrie" a nickname, I never heard that used in the North. Was he twin to William?
    I have eight children for NEIL MACKAY & RUPERTINA SCOTT. Most of it is sourced (BMDs etc.) but some needs better verification - done when I was young (genealogically speaking).
    Please don't take anything for gospel, I am happy to be corrected.
    1. JOHN ROBERT 1828-1916 m. JOHAN MACKAY, 6 children.
    2. WILLIAM 1830 (your gr-grandfather?) I never researched because someone in family told me he died USA!!
    3. ANGUS 1832 m. HENNY MACKAY, 9 children.
    4. ELIZA 1834 ?not in 1841.
    5. GEORGE 1836 m. ELIZABETH HAMILTON, 2 kids at least
    6. HENRIETTA 1838 died aft. 1861
    7. COLIN 1841-1929 m. BETSY MACKAY, 8 kids at least
    8. MURDO 1847-1907 m. AGNES BARBARA HADDON, 5 children
    Murdo died Aislaby, Yorkshire but on a stone in Kirkton Farr cemetery. (Alice Nicol is researching Murdo's family)

It's been fascinating to see name "Rupertina" through the generations, sometimes of course Robertina Robina and Ruby.

I know next to nothing about later generations, as my search was concentrated on Neil and Rupertina, and their eldest son, John Robert.
    Happy to send you a fully sourced Report off-List.

Sheena O'Fee

Thanks Mary,
    I'll study the line again and check it out with my dads cousin, it was him that got the informtion on Neil etc. While I'm here do you know anything about a farm in kildonan run by the Rutherfords ay Craiggie? My gran Jessie may have worked there? she may have been a servant inside te house or a farm worker don't know its the only lead on her so far.
    I've just checked out your own web site. it was fantastic well done very interesting;
    regards
    Sheena

Mary Young

Hi, Sheena
    I'll look forward to hearing more on the family.
    Meanwhile, sorry I don't know about the farm in Kildonan. The 1901 census has a big family of Rutherfords on an unnamed farm.
    Thanks for kind remarks about my website.

Sheena O'Fee

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Young View Post
    Hello, Sheena
    Welcome to B-G Forums!
    Sue was right, I have picked up your message - but I doubt whether your road leads to Tongue.

AFAIK Neil Mackay was born in Farr, declared Farr on every census I've seen.
    It's pure coincidence that I've done some research on Neil and Rupertina's family. They're linked to our family through descendant of their eldest son, JOHN ROBERT MACKAY.

I haven't looked at the Scotts at all.
    Was "Barrie" a nickname, I never heard that used in the North. Was he twin to William?
    I have eight children for NEIL MACKAY & RUPERTINA SCOTT. Most of it is sourced (BMDs etc.) but some needs better verification - done when I was young (genealogically speaking).
    Please don't take anything for gospel, I am happy to be corrected.
    1. JOHN ROBERT 1828-1916 m. JOHAN MACKAY, 6 children.
    2. WILLIAM 1830 (your gr-grandfather?) I never researched because someone in family told me he died USA!!
    3. ANGUS 1832 m. HENNY MACKAY, 9 children.
    4. ELIZA 1834 ?not in 1841.
    5. GEORGE 1836 m. ELIZABETH HAMILTON, 2 kids at least
    6. HENRIETTA 1838 died aft. 1861
    7. COLIN 1841-1929 m. BETSY MACKAY, 8 kids at least
    8. MURDO 1847-1907 m. AGNES BARBARA HADDON, 5 children
    Murdo died Aislaby, Yorkshire but on a stone in Kirkton Farr cemetery. (Alice Nicol is researching Murdo's family)

It's been fascinating to see name "Rupertina" through the generations, sometimes of course Robertina Robina and Ruby.

I know next to nothing about later generations, as my search was concentrated on Neil and Rupertina, and their eldest son, John Robert.
    Happy to send you a fully sourced Report off-List.
    Hi Mary.

Its been a long time since I started my above quest.....I got distracted by other ancestors and off in a completely different direction...as you do!!! I have returned to this queerie as I'm no further forward at all...and you told me above that Alice Nicol was researching Murdo Mackay's family...could you please tell me how I can get in touch with her.? many thanks once again

Mary Young

Hi, Sheana
    Tried contacting Alice tonight but permanent error on her email address. I am sending out search parties

Sheena O'Fee

Default THANKS

Hi, Sheana
    Tried contacting Alice tonight but permanent error on her email address. I am sending out search parties

Thanks Mary I do appreciate you sending out the search parties...lol..lol looking forward to hearing any news at all on this side of my tree....

Mary you also said originally:-
    know next to nothing about later generations, as my search was concentrated on Neil and Rupertina, and their eldest son, John Robert.
    Happy to send you a fully sourced Report off-List.;- if this is still possible for you to send me your fully sourced report....I would be so grateful.....many many thanks.

Mary Young

Hi, Sheana
    No results from search parties, sorry. I will write soon off-list.

Sheena O'Fee

Hi, Sheana
    No results from search parties, sorry. I will write soon off-list.
    thanks for the update Mary..I do appreciate it

irvinemg

Sheena. I don't know if this will help much. My grt Aunt married a William Campbell whom was
    born at Tongue Sutherland circa 1816. William married an Isabella McKay. I believe that William's father was a John Campbell that married a Catherine McKay, but this is not confirmed.

There were so many MacKays marrying cousins.

There was an Angus MacKay who was first Bagpiper to Queen Victoria. He came from Raasay. The reason I mention this Angus MacKay, is that my Grt Aunt's son became Head Piper to Queen Victoria. He was a James Campbell.

Hope this is of some help.

Mike Irvine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast