posyperkins

Default Reservist - Boer War - Albert West

Hi, New to list and trying to find out more about my Great Grandfathers service in 2nd Boer War. He appears on 1901 census so I assume he joined up towards the end. Sadly I don't have his medal, only the ribbon. In WW1 he was part of the BEF and was an 'Old Contemptible' - (I have his Pip, Squeak & Wilfred). I assume he was a reservist as when he married in 1912 he was a blacksmith in Brenchley, Kent (although born & grew up in Bromley by Bow, East London).
    Back to my question, if he was a reservist and was in the Royal Artillery in WW1 does that mean he was in the Royal Artillery in Boer War?
    Many thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Sarah.

neil1821

Hi Sarah,
    The fact that he was in the Artillery in WW1 doesn't necessarily mean he was Artillery in the Boer War, although if it was me that's where I'd start looking!
    I have the Royal Artillery medal rolls for the Boer War - will try a search for you. To start with though, can you give me his FULL name, plus service no., rank and unit as given on the WW1 medals. That'll be a good startiing point.

Neil

smithg777591

Default boer war medal rolls -neil1821

Calling Neil.
    I noticed you have a copy of the Artillery Medal Rolls for the Boer War and I was wondering if you could check my greatgrandad's name please.

His name was Gunner James Cox,No: 66409, 60th Field Battery, Royal Artillery arrived in South Africa 3/1/1900.

I am trying to see what his medal entitlements are for the Boer War and any help would be appreciated as I am in Ireland and cannot visit the NA kew in person to look up the rolls.

Many thanks

Gerry Smith