Timbo

Default Hannah Shail of Caversham

I wonder if anyone can help me..
    I'm looking for a Hannah Shail, who was born in Caversham, Oxford around 1801, though christened in 1804 according to IGI. I believe her mother was also called Hannah, but have no info on her father.

She married a John May around 1825, and settled in Camberwell, Surrey. (I say 1825 as her first child, also Hannah, was born in 1826), but don't know whether they married in Caversham, Camberwell, or elsewhere.

I would really appreciate any help
    many thanks
    Tim

dcwilkes

Default Hannah Shail Christening Details

Christened: Hannah Shail 12 FEB 1804 Caversham, Oxford, England daughter of Hannah Shail.
    With the same last name as her mother she could have been born on the wrong side of the sheets - I couldn't find reference to a father.

Any help to you?

Don
    Last edited by dcwilkes; 10-10-2007 at 12:10 AM. Reason: addition

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    ...but have no info on her father.
    The Mormons have got something on film - see the Family History Catalog(ue). You can order in the "Bishop's transcripts for St. Peter's Church, Caversham, 1639-1859" to check the baptism (and, with luck, find the mother's baptism details). Registers often explicitely state illegitimacy.

Also - and this is a bit of luck - the Mormons have "Poor law records, 1641-1887, St. Peter's Parish (Caversham, Oxfordshire)". FHL BRITISH Film 1849326 includes "Bastardy, 1719, 1752-1823". This is about the only way you might stand a chance of identifying the father so I suggest you order that film at the same time.

Timbo

Default Hannah Shail

Thanks to both of you, thats a great help

Pennie

Hi Tim ...

I checked the OFHS's Oxfordshire Marriage Index (1538-1838) for the SHAIL/SHALE surname - there were only three listed, as follows (in case they're of any use to you):

12 FEB 1810 - Elizabeth SHAIL to Richard BETTERIDGE (w) at Caversham
    24 NOV 1832 - Hannah SHALE to Richard GREENWAY at Ipsden
    04 MAR 1837 - Mary Ann SHALE to George SHALE at Ipsden

These were taken from the bride's index. However, cross-checking the 1837 marriage on the groom's index, his forename is recorded as George!

(Ipsden is the next-but-one parish to Caversham.)

Pennie