Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Default Methodist Local Preachers' Who's Who 1934

Thanks to a forum member who spotted my 'Who's Who in Methodism' thread I now have a copy of 'The Methodist Local Preachers' Who's Who 1934'. (Thanks again Hugh!!!) This is a very similar book to the 1933 book except that it's fatter! It contains the same sort of detail.

There's also a short obituary section at the end for those preachers who died between January 1933 and September 1934. This gives the name of the preacher, the Circuit in which they preached and, where known, the year they were appointed as preachers, the date of their death and any other roles they had in the church.

If you think that one of your ancestors may have been a Methodist Local Preacher in 1934 or have been in the obituary list I would be happy to look for you.

In the meantime I shall continue indexing the 1933 book - see if I can finish it this time!

Mary.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-10-2007 at 3:20 PM.

Chrissy

Default Methodist Preacher

Hello Mary

I wonder if you might look for a preacher by the name of Percy Metcalfe of Sutton on the Forest near York.

I have been informed that he preached around this area and at Easingwold, I would be very grateful for any information.

Kind regards

Chrissy

Hello Chrissy,

I'm afraid there's no Percy METCALF(E) / MEDCALF(E) either in the 1934 list of local preachers or in the 1933 lists of ministers and lay officers. What are your man's dates? Would he have been alive in 1934? If he was a Methodist preacher in 1934 is it possible that he belonged to one of the churches that stayed outside the union in 1932?

The Metcalfs in the '1934 Who's Who of Methodist Local Preachers' are -

Henry Wardill MEDCALF born Skipsea Brough 1873
    Jospeh MEDCALFE born Dalton in Furness 1880
    Arnold Charles METCALF born Birmingham
    Bernard METCALF born Harborne 1910
    H A METCALF living in Grimsby
    J S METCALF living in Birmingham
    Thomas Wiliam METCALF born Holme 1880
    John METCALFE born Shipley 1868
    John METCALFE born near Pateley Bridge 1857
    John METCALFE born Swaledale 1878
    John Auton METCALFE born Askrigg 1893
    John Richard METCALFE born Nelson 1911
    N METCALFE living in Leeds
    Richard METCALFE born Eastburn 1876
    Robert Henry METCALFE born Barnard Castle 1871
    T METCALFE living in Kendal, Westmorland
    Thomas METCALFE born Low Row 1883
    Thomas Jackson METCALFE born Wolsingham 1892

If any of these are of particular interest I'd be happy to give you the details.

Best Wishes,

Mary.

topo60

Hello Mary
    Are you still indexing the Methodist Local Preachers' Who's Who?
    I don’t know if you can help me but my Gt Gt Grandfather, Robert Bottoms, was a Lay Preacher who died in 1937 at New Branspeth, Durham. This is what I know of him:
    Robert Bottoms was an active Methodist all his life and the oldest preacher on the Brandon and Deerness Valley Methodist Circut, Robert preached for 67 years; preaching nearly 1,000 sermons while in the Crook Circuit alone. Other circuits he has served at include Durham, Newcastle and Bishop Auckland. There were times when he would walk over 20 miles to fulfil his duties. When Mr Bottoms began to preach he could neither read nor write. His wife used to read passages of scriptures to his, which he memorised, and along with verses of hymns he would build his sermons. By assiduous efforts he later taught himself to read and write. (This was taken from a newspaper article about his funeral).
    An interesting ‘snippet’ I found out about Robert was the following;
    The Wesleyan Methodists at Ushaw Colliery are first recorded as holding their meetings in 1894. Two leaders of the movement from New Brancepeth, Robert Bottoms and Isaac Wood are remembered as helping with the first services which were held in the colliery house of Mrs Metcalfe. Later the mine owners, Pease & Partners, allowed them to use 'the huts', a row of 12 wooden houses which had been used to accommodate the first workmen.
    I believe that his wife, Jane Bottoms (nee Lock), may also have had an obituary written about her in the Local Preacher’s Magazine about June 1903. She died in April 1903 aged 64.
    Hope you can come up with more information about Robert & Jane Bottoms.

Hello,

Apologies for taking so long to answer.

I can't find a Robert BOTTOMS in the Local Preachers' Who's Who 1934. If he was no longer actively preaching he may have decided not to have his details included - though he would still have been on the plan as a local preacher.

There is a Thomas BOTTOMS in the book - born in Croxdale in 1876.
    Also a Daniel Wade BOTTOM (b. Worksop 1913) and a Thomas BOTTOM (born Huddersfield 1886).

Let me know if any of these are related.

Mary.

lorraine smith

Hello Mary,
    I have a thomas johnson holmes b1840 solicitors clerk and lay preecher at easingwold.He married mary hannah mountain b1847 from sherriff hutton. I would be very interested in anything you can tell me about him.
    thank you
    lorraine

Nick Smith

Hi Mary, got a bit stuck looking for Rev Neil Wilson, my grandfather, was Oakham circuit 1920s and overseeing amalgamation of primitive and wesleyan later in Leek in 1960s, also had been in Norfolk and many others he died around 1983 in Canterbury - do you have any biographical info he was born in Chicapee, Massachusetts in 1894 I believe

A fountain of knowledge

The details don't quite match, but "Minutes and Yearbook of the Methodist Conference 1981" p 94 has for Neil Wilson: "Born in America on 18th February 1889, ... He served in the following circuits: Oakham, ... His wife died in 1976 and in May 1980 he came to live with his daughter in Canterbury ..." Died 28th February 1981. If this looks like him, I'll OCR the whole obit (1/3 A5 page).

A fountain of knowledge

Well, as it almost certainly is him, I've done the OCR while I have a moment and before the book goes walkies:

NEIL WILSON : born in America on 18th February 1889, and spent most of
    his childhood and youth in Glasgow, until he entered Hartley College in 1914.
    Ordained in 1920 in Great Western Street Church, Manchester, he later that same
    year married Dora Mary Crabtree. He served in the following circuits: Oakham,
    Castleford, Swaftham, Aylsham, Burnbank (Hamilton), Glasgow (Parkhead and
    Burnbank), Alston, Sowerby Bridge (Sowerby New Road), and Leek (Bethesda),
    where he retired at the age of seventy. In his retirement he continued as Free
    Church Hospital Chaplain for a further eleven years, during which time he also
    conducted Sunday services in the Chester and Stoke District. A preacher of
    conviction, he always spoke with a note of authority, and as an assiduous visitor he
    was well-liked wherever he went. What he lacked in physical stature he more than
    made-up for with an energetic personality which was never satisfied with second
    best, either in himself or in others. However, shortage of inches never prevented
    him from being a keen sportsman, playing soccer until he was forty-five and tennis
    until he was sixty-seven. His wife died in 1976 and in May 1980 he came to live with
    his daughter in Canterbury and suffered a stroke later in the year. Though
    increasingly confined to his bed, he never lost his vigorous sense of humour, nor his
    interest in life, especially in sport. He was ready to die and his wish was granted on
    the 28th February 1981 in the ninety-third year of his age and in the sixty-fifth year
    of his ministry.
    To find exact dates at the various places he served, you'll need to consult earlier yearbooks, which I don't have, or maybe the relevant telephone directories are on Ancestry.

Nick Smith

Thumbs up Thank You so much

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Doran View Post
    Well, as it almost certainly is him, I've done the OCR while I have a moment and before the book goes walkies:

To find exact dates at the various places he served, you'll need to consult earlier yearbooks, which I don't have, or maybe the relevant telephone directories are on Ancestry.
    Thanks Chris it is definitely my grandfather - thank you so much! I have just got to try and find out when my g-grandfather emigrated. Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast