Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SBSFamilyhistory

Default Joseph Norman Williams Police Officer

I have always been told that my grandfather's son from his first marriage was a Police Officer in Staffordshire, probably Stoke on Trent.

His name would have been Joseph Norman Williams, usually called Norman, born 18/12/1899.

His parents were Joseph William Williams and Florence Williams nee Fellows. They divorced in the early mid 1920's.

Has anyone any ideas how I could confirm that he was a Police Officer and what rank he was etc?
    Last edited by SBSFamilyhistory; 29-09-2007 at 2:17 PM. Reason: typo

Geoffers

Survival of records varies from area to area. Some forces have their own museum where old records are stored, some have deposited their surviving records in local record offices. I suggest that you try both and see if they can assist. You might also try delving into local book shops to see if a history fo the force has been written.

Geoffers

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SBSFamilyhistory View Post
    I have always been told that my grandfather's son from his first marriage was a Police Officer in Staffordshire, probably Stoke on Trent.

His name would have been Joseph Norman Williams, usually called Norman, born 18/12/1899.

His parents were Joseph William Williams and Florence Williams nee Fellows. They divorced in the early mid 1920's.

Has anyone any ideas how I could confirm that he was a Police Officer and what rank he was etc?
    For what it's worth to you, this looks like the WILLIAMS family in the 1901 census:

Census: 1901: RG13/2860 Folio 30 Page 19
    Address: 17 The Poplars, Fallows Rd, Aston, Warwickshire

-- Joseph W. Williams Head M 25 Gun Maker [born] Birmingham
    -- Florence do Wife M 24 [born] do
    -- Joseph N. do Son S 1 [born] do

Regards,
    Trish

SBSFamilyhistory

Wink

Thanks Trish I have that, the road name made me laugh with Florence's maiden name being Fellows.

Also my Grandfathers occupation changes drastically, when he married he was described as a wine merchant and that was 25/12/1898

Famous for offering help & advice. Trish's Avatar

Thanks Trish I have that, the road name made me laugh with Florence's maiden name being Fellows.

Also my Grandfathers occupation changes drastically, when he married he was described as a wine merchant and that was 25/12/1898
    I noticed the Fellows/Fallows connection! Good luck with verifying the policeman occupation.

SBSFamilyhistory

I have in the last couple of days had an email from my uncles grandson telling me that he was not in the police, but went to live in Belfast ahving served in the RAF and then Army.

oh well

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Patricia Norma Williams/Bird/Todd

SBSFamilyhistory.

Good day,
    may I bring your attention to this thread, please.

My sister was Patricia Norma Bird, her married surname was Todd. She passed away three years ago. Her birth details are:

https://talkingscot.com/forum/ucp.php...ew&f=0&p=48854

Patricia Norma WILLIAMS
    b 4h 30m pm 17th of March 1945
    RAF Station ERROL,
    Mother: Florence Gladys WILLIAMS
    Aircraftwoman Woman's Auxiliary Air Force
    Usual residence: 102 Alliance Drive, Cliftonville BELFAST
    father: none recorded

Patricia was adopted by my parents Arthur and Myrtle Bird. They had married in Belfast, NI where my father was serving in the RAF.

My father was a farmer in the (then) Southern Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe and Patricia moved to the farm with my mother after WW2 ended.

She never knew who her birth mother was and any attempts met with futility.

Patricia’s three daughters and grandchildren are very keen to get any photographs of Florence and should there be any questios I will be more than happy to answer them.

All of Patricia’s descendants are scattered between South Africa and Australia and myself am in South Africa.

Kid regards and best wishes

Ken Bird

Super Moderator

On the 1911 census Joseph William Williams is a Carter for a Brewery, back to alcohol!

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Ken
    You have provided a lot of information that unfortunately the original poster is going to miss out on as they are no longer a member of BG. The word 'guest' under their avatar is the clue and as we don't have any contact information for them they will not receive notification of your post which is their bad luck.
    They may of course visit as a guest but we won't know this.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Ken,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

Unfortunately you've found a very old thread, and SBSFamilyhistory is no longer a member of the forum, as denoted by the word 'guest' beneath their name. We are not allowed to retain any personal information once a person becomes a guest so we can't alert them to your post.

Williams is a common surname in the UK. I've checked the GRO's own website for Florence Gladys Williams born between 1900 and 1925 (though 1922 is likely to be the cut-off year) in England and Wales so it's probably not an insurmountable task to trace them, though it's not helped by people being registered with just a first name and initial of their second name between about 1910 and 1968 for death registrations and to at least 2007 for marriage registrations.
    One Florence Gladys born in Scotland between 1900 and 1925, in 1924.
    Haven't checked for Irish birth registrations.

Pam
    (who was doing a final check on something while Christina was busy posting!)
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast