dcwilkes

Default George William Dipper

Hi. I'm looking for the father of George William Dipper born 1851 and was registered in Witney. He could have been born in Witney or Brampton.

Any help will be appreciated.

birdlip

Hi there,

this looks like George William with his family in 1861;

RG9; 905; 63; P11
    Bridge St Cottages, Bampton, Oxfordshire

James Dipper Head mar 33 Dry (or Day?) Mason b Oxon Brize Norton
    Mary Dipper Wife mar 35 b Oxon Bampton
    Thomas Dipper son 12 schl b do do
    George Dipper son 9 schl b do do
    Joseph Dipper son 7 schl b do do
    James Dipper son 4 schl b do do

freeBMD has James Dippers marriage Dec Qu 1848 Witney 16 265, annoyingly there are four couples listed, and three of the brides were Mary or Mary Ann! None of them with the Inkerman* surname though, see below.

IGI has the chns christening dates at Bampton, parents James Dipper and Mary;
    Thomas 21 Nov 1849
    George William 07 Sep 1851
    Joseph Henry 23 Oct 1853
    James Inkerman* 01 Feb 1857

and also on IGI; James Dipper christened at Brize Norton 23 Sep 1827, parents Philip Dipper and Rachel

regards birdlip

dcwilkes

Default Reply to Birdlip

Hi Birdlip: How did you find this information? I got the dipper connection to my family by using FreeDMB but could go no further. Where do you get your info because it is superior to mine?

Don

birdlip

Hi Don,

not sure which bits you mean. I have a subscription to A******y, so looking George William up on the 1861 census was fairly straightforward, because you'd given his approx date and place of birth.

Then I looked for the marriage of a James Dipper, up to five years prior to the approx date of birth of his eldest child on the census. With freeBMD marriages, when you've found the entry you're looking for, it will give you the Registration district, then a Volume number and a page number. Do you know if you click on the page number, it will come up with a screen that shows you the names of both the bride and groom? If you're lucky, there may only be one couple on that page, so you can see straight away, the name and surname of the spouse. There are often though, as in this case, up to four couples, and the names are not in any order. If you already have a fair idea what the spouses first name is, e.g. from a census entry, you can often work out which one is 'yours'...though not when there are three Marys!

I assume you've used IGI Familysearch, but perhaps you've not done a Parent Search on it before? If you go to Advanced Search, you then need to type in the fathers first and last name and at least the mothers first name; but no other fields. Click on Search and the next screen will show several lists of names. Click on IGI/British Isles, in the right hand box, and it will show a list of all children born to parents with these names, with dates and places of birth. Click on the childs name, and it will show the parents names, and sometimes includes the mothers maiden name. Not all the children in the list will belong to the family you're looking for, you will have to look at the dates and places and do a bit of sorting.

Bear in mind that these are only indexes, you should still purchase George W's birth certificate to make sure this really is the correct family. Once you've got that, then you can order his fathers marriage certificate and so on.

I hope this helps.

regards, birdlip

dcwilkes

Default Hi Birdlip

I have just figured out what you meant when you referred to IGI Family Search. The daft thing is: I've been using it for ages but didn't bother to find out what it was called.

Cheers