Staffs Boaties

Default Canal Boatmen in the Shropshire / Staffordshire / Cheshire area

Hi I am trying to find out more information on canal boatmen in my family. The surnames I have are Howard, Watkin, Hall, Statham, Littlehales, Edwards, Jones and Roberts. On the Howard side I have Charles Howard b1846 Handsworth, Staffs d 1922 Chester, dad Charles (not a boatman) mom Sarah, wife Mary Ann Jones b either 1840 or 1844 Shrewsbury, Shropshire, dad Edward (boatman) mom unknown. Charles married Mary in 1871 Chester. They had a son William Edward b 1881 Runcorn who married Elizabeth Watkin b either 1881 or 1886 Wolverhampton, Staffs dad John mom Mary. Elizabeth had sisters called Rose Hannah b 1878 (married Richard Edwards, dad John Edwards), Harriet (married Thomas Littlehales, dad Thomas), Mary, Ellen and a brother called John (married Emma Hall, dad Thomas). I know they worked the following boats: Orange, Crow, Fredrick, Cressent?, and Chester

Any help would be greatly appreciated

jennebel

Hi I have Jones canal/boatmen in the Staffordshire area - PM me if you'd like to swap details

ann.pitts

Default boatmen records

i am searching any records of my ancestors who worked and lived on the canals, i have tried so many places without results.
    i have read that there are records of registers log books etc
    please can you help
    ann

Staffs Boaties

I have tried the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum who are very helpful and if you are searching for people in Wolverhampton then Holt's Index which you can find through the Canal Museum website is also useful. Which names are you searching for as I may have come across them which I've been searching

ann.pitts

Default flatley

william flatley
    i have tried all waterway museums with no luck so far
    ann

Staffs Boaties

I haven't come across a William Flatley. I will ask my Great Uncle next time I see him (he's 93) and see if the name means anything to him

kmt123

Default boatmen

sent you a pm ann

Richard1955

Default Pumphrey

I have lots of info on the Pumphrey family but would like to know more about there lifes as boatman on the canals between Tewkesbury and Staffordshire.
    Anything!

Richard1955

Hi
    I have a Jane Pumphrey that married a George Jones in 1882 Wolverhapton but George was a coal miner and the Pumphrey were boatman.
    Any good?
    Richard

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, I know this is an old post, but I’m a littlehales, Thomas and Harriet were my great grandparents, canal people. Jayne .