Thread: number taker

Default number taker

Hi,
    On the 1881 census the occupation for 19 yr. old Frederick Millard is, 'number taker Mid. Ry. (oth Raily)'. He's in Finedon, Northants. I presume Mid Ry is an abbreviation of Midland Railway but I don't know what a number taker does exactly or what the bit in brackets refers to. Any suggestions?
    Angelaj

Mythology

1) Number taker.
    I will save my fingers by pointing you in the direction of a reply given in an old Rootsweb thread:
    https://
    archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/UK-1901-CENSUS/2004-01/1075487833

2) The bit in brackets.
    I don't have access to the image right now, but... is it in different writing?
    That sort of partial near repetition (Ry and Raily) sounds as if it may be a checker's scrawl made when classifying occupations, rather than being part of the actual census return.

Reputation beyond repute

They had stone quarries at Finedon didn't they? The stone would need to be moved by rail. Your man would be at the sidings or depot noting the details of those wagons which were not owned by the Midland Railway so that the owners could be charged for use of the facilities.

Mythology

Afterthought.

If it's not in different writing and is genuinely part of the entry then, given the nature of the job, I would *guess* that it's probably an abbreviated "other Railways".

Default number taker

Thanks everyone. Having read through the description it seems like a tedious but important job, particularly for a 19 year old. Still, better than being down the mine.
    Angelaj