Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Dunroamin
    Can someone tell me what is BVRI, I know what IGI is.
    Thanks
    Dunroamin
    Look at page 2 of this thread - Peter's reply - message no.15 and you will be enlightened.

Thomasin

In support of BMDRegisters, the other day I found the baptism of somebody I had been stuck on for some time - plus an unknown brother, and the names of their parents and their maternal grandparents. I thought he was a Londoner born and bred - turns out he was a Nottinghamshire lad, registered in Cripplegate at the age of 13. Can anyone please explain to me what Dr Williams' Library was?

I also found this chap's younger daughter, baptised in the Providence Chapel, Chadwell Street, Clerkenwell, but the elder daughter still eludes me.

The images are excellent.

Thomasin

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Thomasin,
    Dr Williams' Library
    Explains it so much better than me!
    Pam

Thomasin

Thank you Pam. I hadn't come across it before.

Have now found another brother and four sisters for Thomas Elliott on the next page, so from being a man about whose previous life I knew nothing, he is now a man with a PAST.

Thomasin

neko

not all, by far. the BVRI is better than the IGI, the NA scans are better than the BVRI, and the microfilms are better than the NA. however, for Quaker the very best is the archives at Friend's library. unfortunately, they do not do onsite research, and for those of us scattered across the globe on minimum pension, the library may as well not exist. the Quaker FHS made cd's of Quaker records, but they were careless and the cd's are incomplete.
    I joined TheGenealogist.uk.org for 98USD a year, and have full, un-credited access to the NC records at the NA site, and find that even now, the records are sporatic. a major branch of my ancestry comes from Colchester Quaker meeting and Colchester Wesleyan Methodist church. it was some time after the first records appeared that my ancestors showed up in WM records in the NC file at the NA site. I'm still waiting for some missing Quaker records, but there's one thing I do know, you can scan the whole book, page by page, picture by picture, and find some things otherwise missed, for no extra charge at TheGenealogist. well worth the time if you have a lot of NC relatives and ancestors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123