Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    v.wells

BVRI? What is that Peter? It is 8 am here so pardon my no brainer.

Vanessa

hughar

I'm seeing the same problem with incomplete records. In this case RG4/2597 for the Silver Street Presbyterian Chapel, Trowbridge. The piece should have Bapt. 1757-1837 and Bur. 1782-1837, but the burials are not on the bmdregisters site. I know they exist, as they are on the WiltsFHS transcription of the piece.

Mythology

"Now, I'm not paying £2.50 for an image that I can get for 30p"

Although, having said that, I can see a possible situation where even Mr Scrooge here, who is so tight that he gets envious looks from the ducks on the pond every time he walks through the park, might be prepared to evict another few moths.

I believe, from the TNA info, that these are new scans from the original documents, not like their rotten cheaply digitised re-hash of the Tesco "Value" film copies that they used for the PCC registered wills.
    If sites like the Medway registers, the Essex registers, the City of London Cemetery etc. are anything to go by, that means that we *should* get far superior images to those on the RG4 and RG5 films.
    I will wait until I've seen a few samples for comparison, but, while it hasn't happened yet, I can imagine a situation where the film copy is so bad that I can't read it, and I'd be prepared to risk £2.50 to get a copy that I *can* read.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mythology View Post
    I believe, from the TNA info, that these are new scans from the original documents, not like their rotten cheaply digitised re-hash of the Tesco "Value" film copies that they used for the PCC registered wills.
    Hmmmm. Not sure about that. They say they "had to temporarily suspend the ordering of digital and microform copies of the records". My understanding was that they produced these from one of the "master" films (I don't know the correct terminology) ie not the scratched ones normally available to the public and not from the original documents either. Didn't Rod have similar problems when Ancestry were loaned the "master" census films?

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by v.wells View Post
    BVRI? What is that Peter? It is 8 am here so pardon my no brainer.
    It's an LDS thing.

"British Isles Vital Records Index 2nd Edition

An index of records from England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland recorded between 1538 and 1888. Records are from parish registers, civil registration, etc. Includes 10.4 million births/christenings, 1.9 million marriages. All records in previous edition are included, plus 7.3 million records not previously published. Virtually all records are not included in the IGI. 13 CDs are of births/ christenings (compared to 4 CDs in previous edition), and 3 CDs contains marriages. Price: £22.95"

One might add that there are no patron submissions included !

That price is for us in UK. We would buy from the British depot. Presumably you would buy from USA.

There's a more detailed list of the contents here...

https://www.genoot.com/downloads/BVRI2/index.html

If you regularly use a mormon FHC or a good genealogical library you probably wouldn't bother to buy.

Reputation beyond repute

Presumably access is free from the National Archives (the news item doesn't actually say that it is) so it will just be a minor change to my usual practice of saving them up until the next time I go. I'll think about the higher RG numbers later...

frogfan

Talking

Hit and miss it may be but I've found loads!!!!!!

Wilkes_ml

I've looked on the site and did find a page - again a whole family on same page https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ngminister.jpg

The reference number is down the side, and the image quality was good (downloaded as adobe file - so may have lost some clarity when transferring to jpeg)

I couldn't find one that I know was non-conformist in Cornwall in 1874, and I did think that the cost was a bit pricey, but then I'm happy to pay £3.50 for a will that I can hardly read!! And you can never guarentee yo will get any useful info from a will either!

sindylin

RG4 is now on there now.

I had a look and found the entries for the three baptisms I was looking for that I'd initially seen on the IGI.

Result!

sindylin

Dunroamin

Hi

Can someone tell me what is BVRI, I know what IGI is.
    Thanks
    Dunroamin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast