Sunny Donny

Default Counties request

Rod,
    Can we have a forum for Perthshire and Aberdeen.
    My main interest, James Pearson, came from the village of Moneydie in Perthshire. He married ann Fenwick although I've not been able to find the marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Donny
    Rod,
    Can we have a forum for Perthshire and Aberdeen.
    My main interest, James Pearson, came from the village of Moneydie in Perthshire. He married ann Fenwick although I've not been able to find the marriage.
    I think that Rod's intending to provide forums for all the counties, but it's taking a little while to get it done AND sort out the teething problems of the who system....

Your couple look to have been pretty settled in Moneydie - have you checked to the Perthshire section of GENUKI to see whether the marriage registers from the 18th century have survived? If they have, and the marriage doesn't turn up on the index to the OPR on Scotland's People (much more complete than the IGI), you should consider whether they had an irregular (civil) marriage. Have you checked NAS to see whether the Kirk Session minutes have survived?

Sunny Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson
    I think that Rod's intending to provide forums for all the counties, but it's taking a little while to get it done AND sort out the teething problems of the who system....

Your couple look to have been pretty settled in Moneydie - have you checked to the Perthshire section of GENUKI to see whether the marriage registers from the 18th century have survived? If they have, and the marriage doesn't turn up on the index to the OPR on Scotland's People (much more complete than the IGI), you should consider whether they had an irregular (civil) marriage. Have you checked NAS to see whether the Kirk Session minutes have survived?
    I've checked the OPRs and there's no sign of them.
    NAS, I don't think I know them. Where do I find them?
    I haven't checked GENUKI but am going to now, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny Donny
    I've checked the OPRs and there's no sign of them.
    NAS, I don't think I know them. Where do I find them?
    I haven't checked GENUKI but am going to now, thanks.
    National Archives of Scotland are here https://www.nas.gov.uk/
    They are gradually putting their catalogue on line. When you search their catalogue, ignore the temptation to put places names in the places box (which only returns maps) - put everything in the "any text" field.
    The other possibility is that the couple married in a non-Church of Scotland church, but since they then had so many children baptised into the Kirk, it seems less likely. Survival of "Other Denomination" registers is very patchy - but where they exist, NAS generally has a copy.

Sunny Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson
    National Archives of Scotland are here https://www.nas.gov.uk/
    They are gradually putting their catalogue on line. When you search their catalogue, ignore the temptation to put places names in the places box (which only returns maps) - put everything in the "any text" field.
    The other possibility is that the couple married in a non-Church of Scotland church, but since they then had so many children baptised into the Kirk, it seems less likely. Survival of "Other Denomination" registers is very patchy - but where they exist, NAS generally has a copy.
    I have found that some of the dessenting church's marriages are actually registered in the Church of Scotland church nearby.

Roy

cdnsctgirl

Where would I post for Edinburgh? I thought its county was Midlothian, but that's not a choice...

Thanks,

Sarah