Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Famous for offering help & advice

I haven't looked at your Turners again but the OS map around Chapeltown is very interesting. Lots of the farms mentioned on the 41 and 51 census are still there. Guessing from the order in the census, Glencimma could be close to Achnascraw.

Famous for offering help & advice

You may have seen this already - but try googling Hidden Families - Aliases and Patronymics in Upper Banffshire for an interesting rootsweb article about the catholic population in this area and where the Turner name came from. Quite a lot to take in!

Also mentions catholic censuses for 1814 and partial censuses for 1822 and 1834. Held on microfilm in Elgin library. The article probably predates the catholic censuses going online with SP so maybe the information mentioned is now online in the 'other events'

Wilkes_ml

Thanks again Grisel. If they had been put on the 'other events' then my families should have come up but I only got the 1939 list.

Unfortunately, Elgin is a very, very, very long way from me but I may be able to find a local researcher who could check out the documents for me.

Wilkes_ml

correction to above: 1839 Catholic family lists

Looks like this is going be really difficult to trace the family if they have an alias and were Catholic prior to the start of the Tombae and Chapeltown Catholic Registers on "Scotland's People". It would certainly explain the lack of baptism around the time my Turners were baptised (1810-1832)

Wilkes_ml

I have now found the family of Thomas McDONALD aged 60 his wife Margaret GRANT aged 60, his children John McDONALD aged 16, Isobel McDONALD aged 32, Janet McDONALD age 25, Elizabeth McDONALD aged 23, Jean McDONALD age 21, grand daughter Margaret TURNER age 9 (therefore born about 1824-1825) and "old maid" Jean McKAY in 1834 living at Nethertown Agndigny? (Scotland's People's Catholic "others")

So it is looking more like the unbaptised children of the widowed James in 1839 are the children of James & Margery nee McDOLALD (daughter of Thomas & Margaret McDONALD nee GRANT)

This also reminded me of the fact that most married women still used their maiden name after marriage (just to complicate things!)

Wilkes_ml

I was starting to give up hope, but I think I have finally made a breakthrough as there is a baptism in 1818 at Tombae the Incarnation Catholic church, of Mary daughter of John TURNER alias GRANT (who I believe to be James' brother) and Isabel McPHERSON.

The great thing about this entry is that it names Christian McKAY as the grandmother on the father's side! the other sponser is John GRANT ..possibly John TURNER's father ( I'm still trying to get my head around the alias patrynomics system of northern Banffshire at this time)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123