kinnigits

Default Sarah KNIGHT Calverton 1920

Folks,
    I'm trying to verify my late father-in-law's mother. Her name may have been Sarah Annie WIDDOWSON and she married William "Sol" KNIGHT (1899-1989), possibly at Tythby-Cropwell Butler on 21 Feb 1920.

Aunts and uncles say her name may have been WIDDISON and her father STAFF or STAPP. However I have been unable to verify any of this so any confirmation of these details would be wonderful. This was her husband:

'"Sol Knight" - He was the village "Chimney sweep and he used to ride what we call a Butchers bike and carry his brushes on the carrier on the front of his bike. We kids loved him because he was quite a character and he was the sort that always made a fuss of kids and he would wipe his sooty hands on our faces if he got half a chance! He was much more than just a chimney sweep. He had a field at the bottom end of the village (Calverton) that was some sort of "Small holding". I first remember them living in a old cottage in a yard (or square) We kids use to call it "Knight's yard". It was just a group of five cottages built round in a square, with the out side toilets down one end. It was just about in the centre of the village, backing onto the White Lyon pub and facing the village "Post Office".'

Carol R

Hi

Do you have access to the GRO index? If you look up your father in laws birth registration it will give you the mother maiden name. If you haven't got access get back to me with his name & dates etc and I will look it up for you.

Regards
    Carol

kinnigits

Thanks Carol. No I don't have access. My late father-in-law was Leonard KNIGHT born in Daybrook, Arnold on 13 March 1924
    Older Siblings:
    Kathleen Mary KNIGHT born 8 Aug 1920 Daybrook, Arnold
    George KNIGHT born 1 Oct 1921 Daybrook, Arnold
    Cecil Dan KNIGHT born 18 Dec 1922 Calverton Notts

I have Leonard's mother as Sarah Annie Widdowson born 27 Apr 1896, not sure of the source and have been unable to confirm this.

Carol R

Hi

All the evidence I found is that her name was STAPP.

William Knight married Sarah A Stapp - Bingham reg district. 1st Q 1920 (7b 909)

All the children's registration gives mother maiden name as Stapp

Leonard - Basford reg dist. 2nd Q 1924 (7b 473)
    Kathleen M - Basford reg dist. 3rd Q 1920 (7b 575)
    George - Bingham reg dist 4th Q 1921 (7b 923)
    Cecil D - Basford reg dist. 1st Q 1923 (7b 481)

Hope this helps a bit
    Carol

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by kinnigits View Post
    No I don't have access.
    I think you do.

FreeBMD is as the name suggests totally free of charge
    https://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

It is an ongoing volunteer project although transcriptions have not yet reached 1920. However, the images of the pages of the GRO indexes for 1920 are available for you to look at without charge and can be accessed from the home page by selecting "View Images".

kinnigits

Thanks Carol and Peter. I have used Free BDM in the past but didn't know I could see the GRO indexes from there. Confirmation of the name STAPP is wonderful. Chalk one up for Uncle Alan!