Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    CookieNanna

Default Bunting

Hi Geoffers

Many many thanks for the parish & census information, it is very helpful and certainly gives me a head start.

The parish information actually shows the family I am chasing and the baptism of my great grandmother so I was well pleased.

With this information to start with I cannot see much domestic work being done

Once again, thank you, your help is really appreciated.

Best wishes
    Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by CookieNanna
    Many many thanks for the parish & census information, it is very helpful and certainly gives me a head start.
    Glad to help, if you need owt else, just ask.

I notice that some of the entries refer to the family being of Stanninghall.

Stanninghall used to be a separate parish but was absorbed into Horstead, very little remains of the church at Stanninghall.

Stanninghall basically consisted of a farmhouse (once a large Hall) and dwellnigs for workers in the dairy farm. The estate is at the south end of the parish of Horstead, and much closer to Frettenham. The consequence being that those who lived in Stanninghall used Frettenham Church. Their contributions to Frettenham appears to have been the cause of dispute between the clergy of the two parishes.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

suesharp667

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I have a copy of Percy Millican's 'A History of Horstead and Stanninghall, Norfolk' (publ. 1937). Long out of print, it can be expensive to get hold of copies.

Many names are mentioned (far too many to list here) and the book is well indexed. It also has a very useful map of the village.
    If you have family who came from, or lived in the village - or the surrounding villages - I am happy to check the book for you. Just post a reply to this message.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire
    Hi Geoffers, Have just found this site- I am researching my fathers name & came across it mentioned in Percy Milligans book. The name is Pightling -Have got back as far as 1750 & there seem to be a lot of them in Norfolk. Many villages mentioned e.g. Horstead, Catfield, Yaxham, Feltwell etc. wondered if you could help please. Sue

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by suesharp667
    Hi Geoffers, Have just found this site- I am researching my fathers name & came across it mentioned in Percy Milligans book.
    There is a lengthy section in the book concerning the family who farmed in Horstead, mostly 17th century entries. It's not quite clear from your message as to whether you have already extracted the entries from it, or if you just know that the name is mentioned. If you would like, I can happily type out the entries for you

The name is Pightling -Have got back as far as 1750 & there seem to be a lot of them in Norfolk. Many villages mentioned e.g. Horstead, Catfield, Yaxham, Feltwell etc. wondered if you could help please. Sue
    You mention getting back to 1750 - could you provide a little more detail, such as names, when and where born, married, etc?

Geoffers

suesharp667

Hi Geoffers, Think I might have sent a reply 2 the wrong place so here goes again. No, I haven't seen a copy of Percy Milligans book. I came across a record somewhere & it mentioned an Ellen Pightling with reference to the book, so I typed in the book title & ended up on your web-site ! I began about a year ago to find out about my grandparents who I never met & didn't realise it would become addictive ! I have traced back on my fathers side to a George Pightling b. 1787 in Hethersett & whose father was John Pightling b.c. 1750 in Hethersett- up to then most had been in & around London, so have just begun searching in Norfolk & found loads! but gets complicated coz they all seem 2 be called John , George or William! & can also be quite creative in the way they spell Pightling ! Also been looking into origins of name. Have found your list of useful websites-brilliant.Yes please I would appreciate it if you help with info from the book. Sue
    Last edited by suesharp667; 03-03-2005 at 11:08 PM.

Steve Linsell

Could you have a look for Warman & Freestone please,Ta.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Linsell
    Could you have a look for Warman & Freestone please,Ta.
    Sorry, no mention of either name in the book and Freestone is not a name with which I am familiar in Horstead. As for Warman, would this be the farmer, James & his wife Jane who had three children baptised there:
    7 Mar 1855 William James (privately baptised)
    11 May 1856 Sarah Jane
    1 Nov 1857 Walter John (buried in 1857)

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers

No, I haven't seen a copy of Percy Milligans book. I came across a record somewhere & it mentioned an Ellen Pightling with reference to the book, so I typed in the book title & ended up on your web-site ! Yes please I would appreciate it if you help with info from the book. Sue
    There are several variants of the name on the NTA website
    https://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/index.php
    click on 'surnames' and then the letter 'Py' and scroll down to the names beginnign 'Pi' and 'Py', you'll find quite a few.

I'm just about to take my dogs out for a stroll, I'll start typing the entries for the name when I get back.

Geoffers
    Charlbury, Oxfordshire

Geoffers

No, I haven't seen a copy of Percy Milligans book. I came across a record somewhere & it mentioned an Ellen Pightling with reference to the book, Also been looking into origins of name.
    Well a pightle is a small (often triangular) piece of arable land, also known as a gore in some parts of the country. So, presumably PIghtling is 'of the pightle'

Yes please I would appreciate it if you help with info from the book. Sue
    There are several entries in the book, the minor bits essentially cross-refer and repeat the information in the main section, so I haven't included them here. Reading the tex can get confusing, so a brief family tree of te Pightlings of Horstead would show:

John Pightling, bn c.1488 = Johana

Their son, Robert died 1565 and bur at Horstead = Rose, died 1574, bur Horstead

Robert had the following children:

Thomas Pightling (d1607) = Alice
    William Pightling (bapt 1564) = Eme Swanton (mar Horstead 1585)
    Richard Pightling (bur 1583, Horstead) = Amy Breese (mar 1569) after Richard's death, Amy married John Gostling.

continued....

Geoffers

Thomas Pightling was the father of
    Henry (1568-1649)
    John, senior (1563-1612) = Cecilia Breese (mar Horstead 1587)
    Thomas, junior (b1561) = Amphillis

Richard Pightling was the father of
    John, junior (bapt Horstead 1561) = Bridget Breese.

John, senior (1563-1612) was the father of:
    Richard (bapt 1603)
    Lydia (bapt 1590) = William Beter (mar 1614)
    Edward, senior (1592-1659) = (M1) Elzabeth, (bur 1629) + (M2) Martha (bur.1657) and this Edward was the father of:
    Henry (bapt 1632) = Mary (bur 1695) - who had a son Henry (bapt 1674)

John, junior (bapt Horstead 1561) was the father of
    Edward, junior (1601-1644) = Elizabeth Ewer (of Lynn, mar 1628) and they had:
    Ralph (1640-1692), seevral daughters and
    John (bapt 1633) = Elizabeth Morse (mar 1671) - they had a son John (bapt 1672) who was a cutler in Norwich, who married Elizabeth

continued.....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast